Problem with a Shirt Instance

I’m experiencing a problem with a Shirt instance, the default ID Inserted from the website gets overridden. I haven’t noticed a pattern either, so the applied ID changes by 3 or sometimes 7?

2 Likes

Possibly because the IDs are shifted due to bot activity or something else that is improbable. It might have been that. How many botted clothing have you seen in the latest months?

Compare the shifting between an ID that is 7 digit long with one that 9 digits long. There should be a difference.

1 Like

There is actually. Is this an issue that’s from the ROBLOX’s side? Or is this something that I will have to deal with

This is intended behaviour. When you insert the catalog id of the shirt into Studio, it switches the id to the ShirtTemplate id so that it can be properly equipped by humanoids.

This happens with every asset that has a different asset id for in-game usage than the catalog or library id used to display the information page, mostly images. Pants have PantsTemplate and decals have images. Two uploads are made; one for in-game use, one for the website.

1 Like

So how would I reverse this since I’m trying to grab an actual ID from the applied shirt.

You don’t. Which id specifically do you want; the catalog id or the asset id? I don’t know what “actual id” is.

If it’s the catalog, just copy it from the website and put it in a script or some place accessible. If it’s the asset id, you can fetch it through typical methods for getting the usable asset id from a catalog item (e.g. InsertService).

I was thinking of converting the asset Id back to catalog Id. So InsertService would be the only way to go about this? Although I’m pretty sure there is some sort of a pattern in there

The phrase eg stands for example given. It’s not the only way, there are several other ways but that’s not really answering the question here nor is it up to me to dig up all those ways.

I’m not sure what pattern you’re referring to. There is no pattern, there’s nothing to it. The usable in-game asset is uploaded to the site and then the library one is. Typically the usable id would be one less than the catalog or library id but due to the mass of assets uploaded at every moment, this is not the case. My response fully covers this.

1 Like

I remember ROBLOX having a pattern of getting the Shirt texture where you basically subtract the ID by 2, If I recall correctly. I guessed this was the case here as well but using a better algorithm

That’s what I just described, maybe three times now. It’s not a pattern or an algorithm or anything special. Two uploads are made when an asset is uploaded; one for games and one for the website.

1 Like

Right, thank you for your answer and patience

ROBLOX Studio has it’s own ID vs the website though I’m pretty sure the website one is for the scripts and the ROBLOX Studio ID is for displaying (if you’re using clothing). Years back, you could -1 from the ID and it’d give you the template but now if you try that way, it could possibly even lead you to -30.

1 Like

This is because of the amount of assets that get uploaded by users. Between the time the game asset gets uploaded and the website asset does (game asset is uploaded first), several assets have been created in between.

I explained this a number of times above.