Question about core walking

Ahoy, I am Eluates. I am currently working on a personal project that involves a custom rig, therefore needing a custom walking system; I want the walking system to have a side step to it to make the automatic Roblox walking more realistic and immersive. I do not know the way to approach this. I have not done much in the core walking system of games in the past; anything helps!

When a player’s character loads, a LocalScript called “Animate” loads in. If you want to change the walk animation, this code should work as a LocalScript in StarterPlayer.StarterCharacterScripts:

local character = script.Parent
local animate = character:WaitForChild("Animate")
local walkValue = animate:WaitForChild("walk")
local walkAnim = walkValue:WaitForChild("WalkAnim")
walkAnim.AnimationId = "rbxassetid://ANIMATION_ID_HERE"

And to revert back to the default walk animation, you can run this code:

local character = script.Parent
local animate = character:WaitForChild("Animate")
local walkValue = animate:WaitForChild("walk")
local walkAnim = walkValue:WaitForChild("WalkAnim")
walkAnim.AnimationId = "http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=913402848"

how do you want this said “side step” to work? do you want it binded to a key or something? anyway

if you want to make your own core walking system you will need to make and export an animation for each state

– walking
– idle
– jumping
–and your side stepping

you can then export these to roblox and get the animation ids for them (if you need help with how to do that ask)

you will then put the IDs into “animation” instances in which ever place suits best for you, then put the animation ID into the “AnimationId” property

the first step to animating something via script would be defining all the animations
you’ll see why we use “LoadAnimation” in a second

so for you when you want to run forward or jump ect you should use user input service to detect when one of these keys are pressed and animate accordingly

local UIS = game:GetService("UserInputService")
local Char = Player.Character

local IdleAnimation = script.Parent:WaitForChild("IdleAnimation", 10) 
local LoadIdleAnimation = Char.Humanoid:LoadAnimation(IdleAnimation) 
local RunningAnimation= script.Parent:WaitForChild("RunningAnimation", 10) 
local LoadRunningAnimation = Char.Humanoid:LoadAnimation(RunningAnimation) 

UIS.InputBegan:Connect(function(input, Proccess)
		if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.W then
			LoadRunningAnimation:Play()
        end
end)

UIS.InputEnded:Connect(function(input, Proccess)
		if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.W then -- if w is no longer pressed
            LoadRunningAnimation:Stop()
			LoadIdleAnimation:Play() -- if this is a low priority animation technically you  dont
        end                          -- need to play this because the higher level animations will just override it
end)                                 -- and you just need to play it once so its always playing when nothing else is

im not sure if this was any help to you but feel free to ask questions if you have any

I want a side step, so here: I found a showcase video that features something like what I want,

I want something like this, watch when he walks sideways: NEW ROBLOX SURVIVAL GAME! | Project Neptune Demo (Pre-Alpha) - YouTube

to accomplish this you are going to need to lock the character in a shift lock state, when player.playeradded(player), and then animate a side step and activate it when D or W is pressed, he does the looking around thing by taking the look vector of the camera and changing the cframe of the head and torso or just head accordingly.

Take a look into Inverse Kinematics

this post might be helpful for you