RDC 2020 Location?

Hey, I was invited to RDC this year and was super exited to go until I looked at the plane ticket prices and it was going to cost me over $1.4k alone to fly me and my mom to San Francisco round trip. I live in the eastern part of the United States and would like if maybe for 202 there were 2 locations or maybe a change for one year in New York City. I know this probably isn’t possible and won’t happen but it would be very exiting if this could happen because New York is close enough for a lot of developers who live in this part of the country. Once again I understand that the chance of this happening is very low and that this takes a lot of time and effort. But, it would be nice just to think about in advance.

Thanks,
uhTeddy

10 Likes

Hey uhTeddy, I proposed this idea a couple days ago on the Forum not sure if you saw. So currently there a couple issues that come up when looking at this idea. To just give you the main points;

-RDC is hosted annually and Roblox likes to make it big, to do this it requires lots of resources and having there base of operations close by.

-Staff must be all transported if you want a RDC in a different location, as well as compensated for there hotel.

-Many people feel having it in San Francisco builds up the essential “hype” since its near Roblox HQ and a lot of the staff can come.

6 Likes

A better idea is ROBLOX should if possible setup more viewing party like they did with London and the location of the viewing party can change every year to give everyone the opportunity to attend.
I think personally viewing party is cheaper to do than changing RDC location every year because it’s costly for them for just hosting the RDC event especially if let say they do want to host an RDC event in New York City where I live, it would be more expensive compared to them hosting in the current location right now because the size of the event as you can see is pretty big and it’s hard to find a space to host in NYC for an affordable price as NYC in general is expensive with everything.
Yes, they can host the RDC event in a different location in the east coast but goes back to what @bensyncs was saying as they would have to transport a lot of staffs to the event especially a flight from San Francisco to NY you know already is very expensive for one staff only.

5 Likes

Yeah, at the least a viewing party would be nice in New York. But it would still be nice to be able to actually be there.

2 Likes

Right I do agree that a viewing party has its benefits. I can definitely see how that would really support the community.

2 Likes

I agree with your words, although It’s not quite fair or maybe right. Roblox is the biggest online platform, so is a big company that wants to support people around the world and make developers meet together in a place and talk for stuff that could improve their business into creating and designing a game. As a company it wouldn’t cost them much based on the company revenue, even creating a HQ in Europe… like they are doing in China at the moment. Transporting renting and planning for such a company would improve developer relations and more participations in worldwide events improving the platform.

3 Likes

The problem is having multiple locations is a logistical nightmare, Roblox is a big company but does not have as many employees as you think. Now I am talking about currently understand that, as Roblox expands we might see more then one event.

3 Likes

Yes, but in the keynote one of the main topics that kept getting spoken about is the fact that they want to bring in more developers. This is hard to do when you keep it at one spot every year because not all developers (me included) are able to travel that far due to expense.

2 Likes

I recently supported alternating locations on the other thread talking about RDC on East coast but after I think about it, I honestly think it is better to just keep having one on the West Coast, and then having one in Europe. They essentially confirmed an RDC in Europe next year because the grand prize for raffle at viewing party was a fully paid trip to RDC 2020 in London, and I’m assuming if it was just going to be a viewing party again they would pay for the trip to RDC USA 2020 instead.

2 Likes

That is completely understanable though you have to understand that Roblox is big and any events that happen need to be coordinated. Having it next to the HQ makes sense, now having it far away causes issues, A lot has to be taken into account as well as how many people would/can attend.

1 Like

Roblox could have sub-quarters… meant to say a somewhat Head Office or just an office around Europe and China. 2 more wouldn’tt have anything wrong personally. Hiring new people is easy nowadays that more people are interested in engineering, technology and stuff. If you remember when Roblox announced that they are looking for engineers or something like that 2018 and before in Blogs. Europe and China is big and would work or find hiring new employees.

2 Likes

It will always be in San Francisco and it should stay that way. Other locations wouldn’t allow for stuff such as HQ tours and people apart of the accelerator program and staff would all have to travel and buy hotel rooms.

1 Like

It would be very hard for them to host an RDC event in New York as a big space is hard to find in NYC and if you’re lucky finding a big space in NYC it would be very expensive. Maybe they can do the event in Upstate New York (still expensive) or Florida where there’s a lot of space?

1 Like

How are you searching for flights? I can find one from Newark to San Francisco for ~$250 round trip. I set my desired flight date for 1 month from now, but booking 3 months in advance is reportedly the best way to do it, price-wise.

flights.google.com is a good aggregator for different airlines, not to be a shill or anything.

5 Likes

The price can vary depending on certain weeks due to the RDC event happening the airport near there depending by airline might increase the price because of demand.

1 Like

I got accepted very late so the airlines jacked up the prices due to this. I also had to fly my mom because I’m under the age of 18. the price for one round trip was about $700 per person.

1 Like

Honestly I wouldn’t really get any hopes up about it moving locations. Just think about it, things like E3 don’t move and they surely have tenfold the amount of money Roblox has.

It isn’t fair but I guess the hope for Roblox is, at some point, devs who are invited to RDC will be able to DevEx enough to at least pay for their trip to RDC. Honestly most of the people I know who attended used saved up DevEx money to go to RDC, and I think that’s what Roblox is going for.

But other than that, like people said it would be logistically crazy and also be unreasonable to move to somewhere such as the east coast. You can’t pick a location that reaches all developers, so rather than making it easier for developers to reach RDC it would make much more sense from a company standpoint to make it where it’s much easier/cheaper for your staff to attend.

2 Likes

I never had my hopes up, I just think that they should add either a viewing party or possibly move it to New York City. It would be beneficial to those who don’t make enough or any off of DevEx so that they can at least get an experience, as once again roblox has been pushing for as stated multiple times in the Keynote.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think anything is going to happen, and I don’t think they have any plans of ever changing it just because of the fact for the money for both events, the only thing I think they can do is change locations for one year based on the people closest to a certain location, but that’s it I guess.

1 Like

Actually, after looking back on this forget the last part because that’s probably never happening.

1 Like