Realistic Clouds Plugin [ALPHA] 0.5

Due to lack of time to work on it, burnout and roblox updates, I have decided to remove this plugin from sale temporarily, so I can revamp and improve the plugin to make it better long term, more user friendly and ultimately more realistic. I would like to thank everyone for their feedback and support for this plugin. See you soon (:D) :cheese:

Thank you for 2k+ sales

*Note - the effectiveness of this plugin in game is dependent on user graphics level, and works best with a light coloured skybox

This Plugin will create realistic, particle-based clouds for your game in studio, adding a new level of detail to your games. The generation is customisable, allowing you the developer to get the type of cloud you want where you want it. Only want cloud in certain areas? No problem, this plugin allows you to choose where the cloud goes and more!

Interface (also supports Dark Mode)

What each option does

The centre position options set the central position for the generation area. The default for these options are: CentrePosition.Y = 300, CentrePosition.X = 0, CentrePosition.Z = 0. The minimum required for the Y axis is 20, however going lower than 300 will not look as good, but may be appropriate depending on the build.

The next option are the generation area size options. These define how big the area to which the cloud parts will be generated in will be. These have no defaults, so it is required that you input a number into these.

The Cloud Part limit defines how many ‘cloud parts’ plugin will create. There is no default for this option either.

The Cloud Parts Selectable? option defines whether or not you can select each cloud part in studio (hence the name).

The next option is the Height-Based Speed Option. Selecting this will mean that the clouds’ speeds are based on their Y axis. Having it deselected will present you with the option below, Cloud Speed. This option allows you to manually set the speed for the all the clouds. The default for this setting is 20.

In the advanced options are 6 options. The first three options defines the upper bounds for how far on that axis each cloud part can spawn from the previous cloud part generated. For example, setting the Y option to 120 means that each cloud part can generate up to a maximum distance of 120 studs on the Y axis from the previous cloud part generated. The defaults for these options are: YRange = 28, XRange = 200, and ZRange = 100.

The final three options in advanced are the Cloud Particle Size Start, Cloud Particle Size Middle and Cloud Particle Size End. These allow you to alter the shape of the particles that constitute each cloud, in turn affecting the appearance of the cloud. The defaults for these options are: Cloud Particle Size Start = 10, Cloud Particle Size Middle = 30, and Cloud Particle Size End = 10. I recommend playing around with these options to achieve different effects.

The next option, Player Position Based Rendering?, if checked will create a script in the workspace (as seen in the video) which then if moved to starterplayerscripts will enable the particle emitters to be locally enabled/disabled based on distance from the player. If this option is selected, the renderdistance option below will appear, which defines how far from the player from the particle emitter has to be to be disabled.

Leaving any of the options without an * next to them empty or with an invalid input (i.e letters etc) will result in the default for that option being used.

Upon pressing the ‘Click Here To Generate’ button, the plugin will create a folder called ‘Clouds’ (and then the number of times you have generated clouds with the plugin, this number will disappear once the plugin has finished generating). In this folder, all the cloud parts will be generated, along with their respective particle emitters. - explorerpluginpict (2) If you checked the Player Position Based Rendering option, you will also have a script called MOVETOSTARTERPLAYERSCRIPTS in the workspace as well.

Planned Updates
  • Customiseable Particle Textures
  • Customiseable Cloud Part Size bounds - Completed
  • Make it so that the height is not limited to a minimum of 300 - Completed
  • Clientside generation for game? - Completed
  • Rewrite code to be cleaner and neater

Demonstration:

*To achieve the exact same effect as in the video, set the fog end property in lighting to 1500 before generating

Recommendations

I would recommend that you experiment with different fog end levels to achieve the effect you want. Changing the level of fog end after generating the clouds will affect how they look
I have found that using a cloud part limit of 100 per 1000 by 1000 square works quite nicely, but that’s just my personal preference.
Please feel free to experiment with different settings, fog end levels and lighting etc to achieve the effect you want :slight_smile:

Get the plugin here: Cloud Plugin [ALPHA] 0.5 - Roblox

I look forward to seeing what people do with this! Let me know of any bugs or feedback! Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Inspiration

Thanks to @mujtaba0880 for making the original post in the devforum showing particle based clouds (as far as I can see), which then inspired me to make this original cloud generator.

(I have plans on maybe adapting this in the future into a separate weather system plugin, but for now I am focusing on this :slight_smile:)

149 Likes

Wow, fantastic plugin! I’m sure that many showcase games (and realistic games!) will appreciate this. Good work! :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

This is a cool plugin and all, I’m just weary that it uses particle emitters for every cloud which becomes an issue at one point or another. UI seems clean though!

5 Likes

Thanks, the particle emitters haven’t presented any problems as of yet… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe it would be a better idea to add an option where’s it’s a bit of code on the client or just directly instanced into the workspace

1 Like

True… I’ll work on a fix for that

1 Like

This looks really cool and I will make sure to give it a try!

1 Like

Update!

0.2 Changes:
Major bug fix (the plugin actually works properly now)
Player Position Based Rendering Option, which means that the use of particle emitters should no longer be a problem

This is great.

It will be useful for those with cities or showcases.

1 Like

Whaaaat?
Is this even Roblox anymore?
This is amazing!
An even cooler thing would be if the clouds shifted around parts & objects, causing a kind of ‘ripple’.

4 Likes

No it’s actually fortnite, as you can see.

6 Likes

Its really cool and all, but not something people can’t do manually. What i’m trying to say is, its a fantastic plugin, and it would save me a lot of time for sure, but i would never sell it for robux. Usually plugins that have a price and sell well usually peform functions that we cannot manually do, or save TONS of time. Just saying for the future.

1 Like

I’m not selling it for robux… It’s free.

2 Likes

Good Work, useful for my environmental design :smile:

2 Likes

Your point is pointless, it’s literally the plugins purpose to help speed up development in larger landscapes…

1 Like

Of course. I was just saying this isn’t too hard to recreate in studio, so that the creator knows that selling the plugin, if he ever decides to in the future, isn’t such a good idea, as many plugin makers like to start selling their plugins after a few updates and bug fixtures.

1 Like

There’s no shame in selling plugins, it’s a feature for a reason :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Update!

0.3 Changes:

• Minor improvements
  • Limit for generation on the Y axis reduced to 20 from 300

Why not just use beams for this? I did the same thing but by using 1 beam. Its better optimized and looks more or less the same.

3 Likes

Why not use beams? I mean you can if you want to. Personally I found that particles achieved a nicer effect, and logistically I find beams don’t have the capacity to present the same level of depth. Personally beams also don’t have the same level of customisation that particle emitters have, particularly with movement :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes