Recommendations for learning scripting

Hi,

What Youtubers would you recommend to learn scripting which gets straight to the point and is really useful?

Here are the two one I used:

Note that tutorials produced from this people are good for just starting scripting.

If I were you, I would only use tutorials to learn basics and after you learn some - DevHub, DevForum etc.

Three good guiding principles when learning to script:

1. Learn proper basic Lua syntax first before jumping into the Roblox API (functions, variable assignment, etc)
  2. If you want to learn Luau from YouTube, choose a youtuber who will not only teach you how to do something but why and when you should be doing something in a certain use case
  3. Research good scripting habits, use proper variable and function names, utilize the DevHub, learn about which functions are overused like WaitForChild

Personally, I’ve heard good things about AlvinBlox and other basic scripting tutorial youtubers.

I wouldn’t recommend YouTube as a primary method of learning to script as it generally works better as an outlet for finding supplementary resources to aide the learning process. Due to the lower baseline of engagement for consuming visual content in comparison to text-based resources, lots of discipline is required to make it more of an “actionable” process rather than simply consuming the content.

YouTube can still be useful for learning many things related to scripting, but remember that practicing with the coding language on your own is what truly allows you to garner experience and understand more about the subject.

Suggestions

My suggestions are encompassed in a guide I created which revolves around learning/improving your scripting skills based on ideologies related to metacognition and various processes involved during the learning process. Various resources which contain reliable information and intuitive explanations are also referenced there.

Instead of explaining the basis of various elements of coding during the thread, I tried to present novel perspectives that could enable you to focus on making the learning process much smoother & improving the efficacy of your efforts to continue improving, which could apply to developers of any skill level.

Learning how to navigate and utilize the resources available increases your ability to be independent, accelerate your pace of learning, and will ultimately enable you to progress further in your development journey.