No good category for posting paid resources

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to browse #resources:community-resources resources for high quality plugins. As a builder who checks community creations often, I believe that I should be able to find free and paid plugins to assist me with building. Restricting the posting of paid plugins or tools in a category made for developer resources is contradictory and doesn’t follow the name of the topic.

This may also help plugin/tool developers with discoverability since they have one central place to post their paid plugins. The only place to post them is in #help-and-feedback:creations-feedback. I don’t believe this is a good category for them, since creations feedback was made to show off your projects and collect feedback only.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because it would allow me to find plugins of all types.

19 Likes

I like this idea, but posts for paid items should be required to put the paid or paid-access tag in their post to make it easier to filter out paid or free assets.

9 Likes

The problem is the same regardless of where you put them honestly. We just don’t have enough culture here around tagging things appropriately, so people will always be unable to adequately find plugins versus free plugins versus paid plugins.

6 Likes

A better way would be to create a paid-resources category instead

13 Likes

I disagree. Community Resources is for open source & free resources to share with the community to be built upon and improved by others. Creations Feedback exists for the purpose you stated above, but I would support a new subcategory in #resources for paid developer assets.

5 Likes

I agree with @NinjaFurfante07 .

There should be a new sub-category for #resources for closed-source resources and paid-access resources.

2 Likes

Definitely think we need a category for this.

3 Likes

I completely agree with this topic, as well as the categories reaches being too broad. There is also the issue of some “duplicate” resources which also flood the topic quite a bit (e.g. admin panels).

As @NinjaFurfante07 said, a good solution would be to split the topic into more narrow categories. Obviously this won’t magically fix duplicate resources, for example, but the issues will have less overall effect on the higher quality resources and the people that look for them.

1 Like

Still support this.

Paid resources shouldn’t be going in #help-and-feedback:creations-feedback. It’s not a creation you’re looking for feedback on, is it?

#resources:community-resources, however, fits the definition perfectly.

4 Likes

Hey folks, looking into this and hoping to share an update soon.

5 Likes

You can now post paid resources in #resources:community-resources.

All pinned posts and rules have been updated.

Thanks for the request.

7 Likes

Thanks for doing this, however I feel like it would be better if #resources has its own sub-category for paid resources.

There are lots of developers in the position where they have little funding (like me), and we do not want to use up so much time trying to find free resources instead of paid ones. Currently, there are much more free resources in #resources:community-resources than paid resources given that this change was recent, but that will most likely change in the future.

6 Likes

Thank you so much, will update my stuff accordingly

1 Like

My thought here is let’s cross the bridge when we get there. Once there is actually a saturation of paid resources and it becomes harder to see at a glance what is free and paid, and this is actually a significant issue (e.g. takes a lot of your time), we can consider tagging or categorization as needed. Want to avoid prematurely complicating the setup.

4 Likes

Although not many know about the change yet, is it intended that the category can now be used as a marketplace? I just saw a “selling UI” ad and I’m afraid that it’ll be only a matter of time until all posts are advertisements.

And in a marketplace, regulation is also important, otherwise scamming could become very effective on a Roblox-official site. With 6M+ estimated monthly visits, you’re guaranteed to find some victims.

Will the DET team take responsibility for actively moderating the category? Or is the current strategy to wait and see how everything turns out?

You can take a look at the About post to understand what should and shouldn’t be posted there: About the Community Resources category

Nothing has changed apart from the free/paid restrictions.

We are not going to be putting additional effort into moderating this more heavily compared to before. There was already a lot of moderation effort going into this category.

In the future this should not be living on the forum but instead on the creator marketplace. Team is aware of the needs and differences between the forum category and the creator marketplace and working on that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.