Renaming Game Active/Inactive to Public/Private

Hi Developers,

Here at Roblox, we are constantly reviewing how we can further improve our developers workflow. Below we have highlighted a key issue first time users often ask about:

• New users are often confused by the words “active” and “inactive” when used to describe wheather a game is playable.

To further improve the first time user experience we have renamed the following:

• Renaming “active” to “public”
  • Renaming “inactive” to “private”

This change paves the way for future improvements. For example, you will soon be able to play your own private games. This will enable you to test without worrying about other players following you into your game. Long term we will give you a lot more control over who can test your games.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns about this update.

Thanks,

The Roblox Team

179 Likes

neat change! this actually makes a lot more sense than active/inactive

11 Likes

I love it.

1 Like

I like it

2 Likes

Pretty cool. Nothing too major, but definitely a step in the right direction.

1 Like

Interesting. Although, I could see “Active” and “Inactive” being confusing for the younger audience so I suppose this is a step towards the right direction. Good job.

“For example, you will soon be able to play your own private games. This will enable you to test without worrying about other players following you into your game. Long term we will give you a lot more control over who can test your games.”

Thank you for this.

4 Likes

YES! Thank you!! :smile:

15 Likes

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!

I was waiting for this! Hope it comes soon! Have a cookie! :cookie:

3 Likes

Finally the days of creating game-locking scripts so people don’t see your surprise updates will be soon over!

12 Likes

Mainly really liking the change of making a place playable for testing purpose regardless of the active state.

1 Like

Awesome change! Great that you are fixing up grammar on the web to make it a fresher experience for younger/newer users! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A purely cosmetic change, but a nice one nonetheless.
Wait a minute.

YEAAAAAAAAAAA

9 Likes

This is crucial for any game platform and it’s a feature that ROBLOX has been missing out on. The ability to grant specific, pre-approved users access without having to worry about players going past any whitelist safeguards is critical in beta-testing a game.

12 Likes

Not so much for the name change, but the part about playing your own private games is damn neato. I hope we can also invite people to private test, as there is no way to test multiplayer games by yourself. Otherwise, I’m really hyped!

6 Likes

I love this change, especially the ability to play “Private” places. Excellent work!

indeed ; glad they hopefully add that soon or later

How will this impact group games?

Suppose a group makes a game private, then will only the group owner be able to play? Personally I would like to have all people who can edit the game should be allowed to play it if it was private.

2 Likes

Is this hinting a future “Develop” tab makeover? That would be so cool if we got the “Developer” page to look like how our player pages/games look like. :smiley:

Also, awesome idea.

10 Likes

Yes! Now I dont have to make a game active even when im not actually using it for anything important

2 Likes

Most likely included in that long term statement