[Rendering Question] Using textures over material benefits?

Alright, so lately I was wondering if there was a benefit or not to use textures over material on a specific scenario. :face_with_monocle:

For instance, here on the Left is a transparent part with two textures replicating the smooth plastic, and on the right is a visible part with SmoothPlastic material.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.07.05 PM

Which option would be best in a scenario where I’d have something like 10k parts arranged in either of those ways?

• Transparent part with texture on two sides…
    or
  • a visible part with SmoothPlastic material…

Technically it would seem logic to use the left case, but I feel a bit worried about having that many parts with textures on, and I’m not sure how this would be handled by the Roblox engine.

In any case, I’d be really curious to know what difference it would make. :question:

1 Like

Sure, I’m aware of all that but that doesn’t quite answer my question for this particular case where you’d have a texture of literally 1x1 pixel on only two faces of the part vs the normal part with the 6 faces rendered.

It’s a tricky question, perhaps a Roblox engineer could have an answer to that.

couldnt you just make a flat mesh in blender?

I could but that’s not the point here.
I do wonder what the performances of a flat mesh would be though, compared to a part. :thinking: