Replicate PrivateServerOwnerId (and similar) over the server/client boundary

As a Roblox developer, it is currently unintuitive that the PrivateServerOwnerId property (and similar) is not replicated over the server/client boundary. If I want to display something or perform an action on the client of the VIP server owner, I have to first have to send a request to the server and wait for a reply. There is a slight delay caused by this, which can make for bad user experience.

Take this thread for example, a utilities GUI is displayed to the VIP server owner, however instead of being able to display the GUI straight away on the client, the server has to first respond to the client with that information. If this feature was implemented, then the GUI could be loaded on the client immediately and the server would only be responsible for validating outgoing actions (e.g. kicking a player).

Current:

Desired:

If Roblox is able to address this, it would allow me to cut back on network traffic in certain situations where it is not necessarily needed.

This is a very specific use-case, however there is no strong argument against implementing this change afaik besides “it may encourage client-sided sanity checks over server-sided security”, which should be a non-factor because Roblox should not be responsible for making sure developers implement best practices or a secure networking model.

9 Likes