Restrict Development Discussion to only be used by Regular+

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to enjoy my forum experience while having spam/unnecessary posts be made by inexperienced forum members

After reading this post and after months of observation ever since Post Approval was removed, it’s clear how many new forum members resort to using this category for inappropriate purposes

A post like this
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/unable-to-like-or-dislike-a-game/1001012
or like this
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/my-game-is-losing-players/1001070
consistently show up which leads me to the conclusion that #development-discussion should be completely closed. I know requesting this would probably be upsetting to those who DO use the forum correctly but it seems like it’s getting out of hand at this point, despite constant flagging

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because I wouldn’t need to be bombarded with a bunch of non-discussion topics that would need to be flagged for DevRel to handle. If you want to comment, feel free to reply

2 Likes

#development-discussion isn’t your personal blog – it is a category for open-ended discussion about development. Asking about your own game there is not so open-ended,

Which is what the feature request aims to change.

4 Likes

No, I mean okay there are constantly people misusing the development discussion, but they’re not really affecting the experience at all. Because when they do so, their posts are flagged by moderators as fast as possible. There’s no need to completely shut down a channel just because of people’s misusage.

Then why was the topic made? Because it does.

Moderators don’t flag posts, the community does. It can take up to hours for those topics to be taken down, and there is just too many members that this doesn’t scale. There are derailed topics that get hidden for hours but still get a bunch of activity.

It’s gotten to the point where I (and many others) have to mute the category, and only check it every now and then to flag some topics.

2 Likes

Did you read the post I provided?

It shows that forum staff are dismissing flags and allowing these unnecessary posts to be made

It’s actually a fair reason to. I’d rather not log onto the forum everyday seeing 1-question topics or platform feature requests made in development discussion

There has been a n number of topics like this, I doubt DevRel is going to listen to this one. All we can do is wait patiently(though even that isn’t a option after months of waiting) and wait for DevRel team to decide.

No, I highly disagree. Due to just a few people all members shouldn’t pay.

Moreover closing it off would lead to the same results. But just ant other category.

I’m a bit divided by this.
on one hand, there have been some great discussion topics made by non-regulars/ members (eg: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/roblox-is-destroying-the-clothing-community/930632) however, there have also been many more topics that just don’t follow the rules and flood the development discussion category, and many of them are being posted by non-regulars/ members.

This isn’t the first time this topic has been brought up, and initially I thought people wanted to do the right thing and it was just a problem with how vague the rules were for the topic. Roblox has now updated it and made it clear as to what is and isn’t allowed in the category.
However it has become clear that people are just not reading the rules before posting.
(eg. the rules specifically state “Use #help-and-feedback for issues with your game or development.”) yet we still see people using the category for help with game development https://devforum.roblox.com/t/just-spent-48-hours-creating-an-ultra-high-quality-complex-space-ship-to-be-met-with-this-lovely-message/1001215
I see many posts like this that are blatantly violating the rules of the category. It’s almost like the people who created these posts never read the rules .-.

Maybe the next step would be to force people to read the rules and answer a lil quiz before gaining access to create a new topic to the development discussion?
(even then I’m pretty sure bad quality posts will still continue to exist) :<

1 Like