Roblox Monopoly

You just lost any developers who were interested with that line.

4 Likes

ā€¦if there were any developers interested before.

1. Lack of details
  2. Lack of organization
  3. Contrary information - you canā€™t be paid a margin of the gameā€™s profit if all of the proceeds go to charity.
  4. Obvious inexperience
  5. Copyrighted material

Thereā€™s no way any developer that values his time would take this job.

7 Likes
  1. Basic user.
  2. Wrong Category
2 Likes

Those are basically inherent, so the system is a bit flawed. We want ā€˜upcomingā€™ ranks to be assisted in their pursuit of becoming game devs but we bar them from searching for a team to do soā€¦

2 Likes

This is very clearly a very complicated and advanced game to make, I think his points are valid as, you donā€™t want to spend what will likely be many tens of hours programming / building for someone who hasnā€™t had a successful game before and possibly doesnā€™t know how to market, monetize or manage a game development team and development in general. Thereā€™s much more security in knowing someone has done a big project before.

1 Like

That is up to whoever does decide to work with them, however barring them from gaining experience is not exactly the way to gain more experienced developers to work with.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying at all that we should bar them from experience, Iā€™m saying this isnā€™t a very good starting point, you wouldnā€™t put a newborn baby in a spaceship and expect them to fly it, so much can go wrong, you build up to that moment progressively, but you donā€™t make that immediate jump.

The nuance here is that failure is a lesson learned in this case, and in your example the result is a bit more catastrophic.

In all honesty there are a few reasons why they would not let you pursue your project.

1. Any unofficial project is damaging to their brand. (Although I think itā€™s pretty innocuous) Same reason Disney does not allow anyone to use their assets and likeness in really any project (even if the project is educational or non-profit).
  2. It would not be financially profitable for them as you would make money off a multi-million dollar established franchise.
  3. If they wanted to make a monopoly game on Roblox, they would do it themselves. It would be easy for them too, as they already have existing versions of Monopoly on iOS and Android.

I donā€™t disagree that failure is a very important component to success, but starting at something slightly less ambitious on their own, then failing at that would be much more suitable as in that case it does not waste otherā€™s time. Who knows, they might have a natural talent for game development which means they are capable of doing it first time, but the likeliness of that is so low, that this can only result in the lost time and effort of developers who decide to collaborate on this project.

also I donā€™t ACTUALLY know that this person hasnā€™t made a popular or successful game in the past, so I may be completely wrong

1 Like

Guys, I dont like whats going on, Im getting hate here left right and center. This is a new experience for me:

1. Never really gotten Hate Before
  2. This is my first time properly using the fourms.

Ohnestly, i feel like removing the post but there is no way of doing this. Just forget I have said anything please. I dont want to get hate from this. This is my first game im planning etc.

None like Whats Funny (Game on my profile with 31k visits) I actually want this game to start with a group, not just me.

I might give up on this project if I do not get positive support.

This is all new to me.

You come in here with an extremely vague request, posted in the wrong category, with a copyrighted gameā€¦ and you expect to not get criticized?

Come now - itā€™s obvious he knows that heā€™s made a mistake. Heā€™s new to development so cut him some slack. If anything, this is a good opportunity for him to learn.

I know, it appears iā€™ve turned a bit hostile. But really, I donā€™t know how to frame what I said nicely. Iā€™ll just keep my mouth shut next time :zipper_mouth_face:

This isnā€™t for advertising

Do yourself a massive favor and request for this thread to be locked and hidden before more people criticize you.

2 Likes

Y tho?

Monopoly is such an awful game, thereā€™s so many better boardgames. If you made Monopoly and it was popular I would be compelled to make a place with a boardgame that doesnā€™t suck to play.

2 Likes

I wish we had more access to talk to fellow Users because this feels like segregation

1 Like

Thatā€™s because it is. The ā€œupcoming developer programā€ is a trial period for people that didnā€™t quite make it to the developer rank, but are believed to have potential.

2 Likes

Sounds like a brilliant game to make! Always wanted to do that myself however being a massive copyright worrier, never have! Look forward to playing it!