Roblox Video Player (Not Maintained)

I don’t use any web server, I just upload it to GitHub. I can get the raw data from there. Basically, GitHub is the web server. I’ve finished the tutorial, let me know if you have any questions. c:

1 Like

Ohh ok… i didnt know that github was the webserver. I guess i gotta make my own repository and connect it to roblox… since u dont have one for the project.

1 Like

he meant that he uses github as a rest api. if you didnt know you can use github pages to basically store any data there and use it as a database, but it is comparable as cafes using discord webhooks in terms of legality

1 Like

Yup, I use GitHub as a database. This is likely against their TOS, so proceed at your own risk. But as long as it’s not terabytes of storage, it should be fine. I used GitHub so that I didn’t have to worry about the memory and data transfer limitations of a replit web server, it is also much faster at sending data to roblox.

1 Like

Interesting… Congrats Jon, you made an efficient, fast and good fps video player after going through 3 different methods.

1 Like

Thanks man, but it’s still not the most efficient way, that’s why I didn’t bother finishing it.

1 Like

Hi there Jon, So i decided to follow All of the steps… but i stumbled upon a problem. I knew that ur repo doesnt exist yet. So i changed the link in the “CombinedData” module to a raw version of the encoder.py script… That didnt work either. Am i missing something?

1 Like

I don’t understand what you mean by changing the link to a raw version of the encoder.py script.

1 Like

When you go to github. Click on a code file (Python or Java) it will show the code itself. On that same page… there is a button with the text “Raw”. When you click on it, it redirects you to a page with plain text… with nothing but the code itself. But to be clear… In the Film Server System, There is a link that causes the output to show up a Https 404 Error (Meaning the link itself is not found). I tried using anything from my own repo (Which i set up with the help of the tutorial) But it still did not work (Note that the stuff that i used for the repo are from the file you sent me).

1 Like

Try printing out the link that the server is using, right before the request, and manually copy and paste that in your browser. If you don’t mind, can you please send me the link that it printed out?

1 Like

That link is the uhh… Raw version of the PacketData from your own deleted Repo. I checked the error by clicking on it. It redirected me to the CombineData module which had a link to ur deleted Repo. Sadly, i copied and pasted the link on my browser and it redirected me to an error on github saying “Page does not exist”. How can i fix that? The .Zip you sent me has no PacketData File.

1 Like

You are a smart man on creating something like this

I havent seen anything like this in ages and you are basically recreating roblox’s videos in a more free way

You can even recreate a cinema with this lol.

You deserve a follow man! Great job! Keep going!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. He does have a heart to make it open sourced. Doing this makes it so that devs could have fun doing the impossible.

4 Likes

He just sacrificed himself to make such a good thing and possibly break the TOS.

But i don’t like breaking it. I will only use for putting videos which roblox wont terminate.

2 Likes

You are actually able to import just about any image, gif, or video into Roblox using this type of method with the addition of having a backend outside of Roblox for converting the frames into a JSON array containing the colors of the pixels in order and the resolution of the media. You can then import the media via HttpService and render the decoded JSON using RichText or something like GreedyCanvas for better performance than if you were to use something like Frame or Part instances to represent the pixels.

4 Likes

Oh, I’ve deleted my GitHub repo containing the data when making the tutorial, and never re-encoded it again. Do you need me to re-encode it?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of GreedyCanvas, maybe that’ll help make it more performant. However, I think the main issue is juggling with the client’s memory usage and the script timing out from decoding a huge chunk of data. Can you please tell me more about using RichText to render the image? I’ve never thought of it. Thanks!

1 Like

I found a bug or something that i’ve done wrong.

The output displays this (ignore the upper stuff thats just my plugins):

Is there something i messed up with the http or what?

local RepositoryName = "HalfOfYourLifeVideoEncoded"
local GitHubAccountUsername = "testingacc333330"

local FilmData = {

{
		["FilmName"] = "halfofyourlife", --this is a random half life video that doesnt break the tos

["SoundId"] = 0,
		["SoundVolume"] = 10,
		["PlaybackSpeed"] = 1,
	}

}
1 Like

I can’t find your repository manually, maybe it’s not public?

2 Likes

Oh yeah sorry let me turn it public.

Done!

Oh wait now it works, Its because it was private. Thanks for trying to help though.

2 Likes