Ropes with collisions

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make ropes that collide with terrain, trees, or other environmental elements. The rope doesn’t have to be self-colliding, but I would love if that is the case.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because rope constraints would be a lot easier to use.

37 Likes

What exactly are you trying to do with ropes?
You can script the rope Length to be just slightly higher than it’s CurrentDistance, but that makes ropes appear shorter the closer the 2 parts get together.

Another way is a whole bunch of Parts that have CanCollide on, and have UniversalConstraints at each end joined to the next ‘piece’ of rope. You can make the Attachments for the UniversalConstraints fit the end of each piece so that they overlap slightly which would make them look a bit less like a chain of Parts. Then use CollisionGroups and put all the ropes into 1 group (call it Ropes for example) and make the Ropes group not collide with itself.

This could, however, impact performance if you have many ropes.

Actually I was only stating the obvious. @Quenty knows his stuff and probably has tried countless ways to work this out.
I’ve also thought that ropes would be so much better if they were physical objects.

3 Likes