Introduction to Saving Games to Cloud
We are constantly evaluating how we can empower our developers to create engaging experiences faster, and at a larger scale. Over the coming months, you might notice more enhancements to Studio as we strive to make this a reality.
Today, we are releasing one of our first major milestones to enable this: saving games to cloud. Saving to the cloud means you are storing the work-in-progress, development version of your place in the cloud. This development version will not be accessible to players until you publish it.
- Functionality that relies on the game being in the cloud, like Game Explorer and Data Stores can now be tested without having to publish your game.
- You can continue working on your game no matter where you are- no need to manually copy files between devices.
- For games with Team Create enabled, changes will only be made live for players when you explicitly publish. This means you can enable Team Create for your production game without accidentally breaking the live game.
With the release of this new feature, when a new game server is launched it will use the last published version. You can now see which versions were published under Configure Place —> Version History.
Additionally, you will notice some changes to the File Menu in Studio. We renamed options in the File Menu to more explicitly call out the actions you are performing. You will notice that we have added a Save to Roblox option which will perform the save to cloud action.
- In Team Create, your camera’s position and properties will now persist per place. We plan on enabling this for cloud saved games in the future.
- We changed the local recovery dialog to make it clear that it’s not an auto-save. It is in fact, an auto-recovery.
To Infinity and Beyond
Moving game development to the cloud will enable us to do many exciting things in the future. This includes enabling better script collaboration, facilitating easy management of collaborators, and keeping a detailed version history of all changes to the game.
I’d also love to give a huge shoutout to Regal_Corgi, @n_warrior1729, fenrirwolf48 and cymylog for making this feature happen.
Feel free to let us know what you would like to see in the thread below!