Saving Player Data To MongoDB Atlas in the Cloud! - (Scaleable & Well Maintained)

It’d be harder to access the API key because you would need direct access to the server. So unless you have an endpoint that has the URI iut won’t be hard.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m not seeing

Connection To MongoDB Atlas Successful!

after following every step above it. I checked my MANGO_USER and my MANGO_PASS, and nothing is wrong with them. Do you think you can help me?

1 Like

Saving Player Data To MongoDB Atlas in the Cloud! - but with strings attached.

You see, I always loved glitch. because of its free hosting.

However bots were sliced when Glitch banned Pinging (such as HTTP Requests)

so dont ping i guess

Another thing: MongoDB is a database that does indeed cost to be more reliable.

Its also kinda hard to use, so good luck trying.

(and if it does end up working, have a cake :cake:)

1 Like

While this is a cool database, you don’t need to waste time setting up all of your Glitch projects, when you can just use Google’s Firebase database service. You can pull HTTP requests/posts with your key directly from the URL

1 Like

Yes,

I believe Firebase is a great starting point and if you’re building a small project, but if you work on a larger project which is expected to hold much more data, MongoDB is great to use due its performance, it can handle a lot of queries at the same time along with keeping the database as fast as possible.

Also I have used glitch just as an example in the tutorial, I would never recommend anyone to use it for a production based API :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Sorry for the bump, but this is really cool.

Also, how reliable is MongoDB? Do they ever leak? Also is it good for big projects and how reliable is it?

1 Like

Great work, this is a really awesome tutorial! Out of curiosity though, what does the process look like for hosting this on my own? Couldn’t I just run this on an old laptop with Ubuntu Server installed?

1 Like

MongoDB is quite reliable in my opinion. I highly recommend using MongoDB. Though, using MongoDB with free tier and a game over 1000 players playing is probably not a good idea. I recommend spending some money at least. MongoDB is also used for scripting discord bots!

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ve just transitioned from glitch to Realm. It seems to be harder to use than mongoose but it’s nice having it all in one place.

2 Likes

I have used MongoDB before for other, personal projects. However, I think it’s very unnecessary to save data to MongoDB for Roblox Players when you can do the same thing with the built-in DSS.

1 Like

MongoDB has its own benefits, its highly scaleable & it also provides alot of other features (MongoDB Charts etc), which can be used at times when needed to visualize data sets.

Its also always fun to try out new things :wink:

Other than that most people are good with the Roblox Datastores.

At the start of the setup on Glitch, I downloaded the source on the terminal and have pasted the code in server.js but I’m getting an error. How do I fix this?
fdssb

You need to install the express module.

iirc, when you click your package.json file, there should be a button called “Add Package”.

I did that but still getting the error.

Hello, I am not using Glitch for this hosting, but I am using my own host, though in your tutorial it shows to fill out username and password for authorization, and I don’t have that because I do not use glitch.

What would I put as my username and password for the authorization?

my mongodb is self hosted by a hosting company.

Have you fixed this? I’m using DigitalOcean for hosting, and I can only send HTTP requests to mongodb on localhost, but it doesn’t work on my remote domain’s website.

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out

I have not, I can’t even get past the this page, it starts up and then goes down and gives me this error. It’s impossible for me because it will shutdown the server.

connection error: MongoServerError: bad auth : Authentication failed.

Never mind I fixed it was just a minor issue

Be prepared to pay for storage costs, and networking! Networking will come back to bite you if you do any kind of large scale data hosting.

1 Like