Script Analysis: Allow access to analysis messages from plugins

As a Roblox developer, it is not possible to view and use the script analysis messages inside of a Lua plugin.
My main use case for this is for porting these messages when utilising VSCode + Rojo. The script analysis output provides helpful linting, and more importantly, Luau type checking.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because having access to this type checking output from a plugin would allow me to transport these messages to my VSCode workspace, providing type checking errors and warnings, which are incredibly useful.

The alternative would be to somehow recreate the type checking using external tooling, but this is a major challenge. Being able to utilise the work that the Luau team is doing inside of VSCode would be great, rather than having to reinvent the wheel and create a sub-par replica, losing out on all the work that the engineering team is putting in.

This feature could also be useful for other things, such as recreating the widget in Lua - something that I believe Roblox is pushing towards, like with the terrain editor/build tools.
It would probably make sense for this to be a method available in StudioService, providing a table mapping LuaSourceContainer instances to an array of analysis data. It would be important that the data provide reference to the start and end span of the code involved (currently, the widget only provides the starting line and column number, but not the ending).

4 Likes