Script causes factory reset of client

For some reason which I’ve been unable to figure out, I can initiate a crash and factory reset of the client’s settings via the MicroProfiler.

After multiple attempts trying to recreate it in a blank place, I’ve been unable to figure out the exact repro steps since I stumbled across this by accident while making my own game. Here’s the repro steps in my game:

1. Wait for the world to load in
  2. Open the MicroProfiler and set it to ‘Detailed’
  3. Start walking forwards
  4. When a new part of the world loads, your client will instantly crash and all of the settings will reset to factory defaults

I’m not willing to open the place or share it’s .rbxl publicly (it’s an unreleased, wip game), but will be able to provide it directly to any engineers or staff via DMs.

I also haven’t yet tested it in Studio (given it might cause a reset of my Studio settings, I don’t really want to try lol)

2 Likes

You should check memory usage and ensure its not close to 1GB. If memory usage goes too high Roblox will force a crash with this same behaviour. The Micro Profiler itself could be taking up that last bit of memory and causing a crash.

2 Likes

Interesting. Why would an out of memory crash reset the settings? Is that by design?

1 Like

I believe Roblox crashes will always reset settings on the Player (studio doesn’t do this I believe). In one of the games I’m working on our dev team was getting a lot of reports of crashing and we found out it was due to memory usage. I was able to reproduce the same crashing people were getting pretty easily and I think my settings did get reset.

3 Likes

This is correct. Every time I have crashed (in the roblox client) my settings have been reset :slight_smile:

1 Like

So that if you accidentally edited the settings to a state that immediately breaks your client before you can get to the settings menu, your client isn’t bricked.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.