Scripting resource links

This topic has been unlisted & locked. Please go to this new page.

52 Likes

Thank you for the contribution.

2 Likes

I plan to update this with more resources for new/learning scripters, you’re welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I personally think it is a must for developers new to scripting that they go through the Lua 5.1 manual. It looks overwhelming to read through it fully but reading alone won’t get them anywhere without actually trying it.

Some skimming, scanning and trial and error would work. That’s how I learned :slight_smile:

1 Like

scriptinghelpers.org is a good website if you need help that the wiki cant answer and the discord is awesome too

I am trying hard to get my head around CFrames and vector math, it’s hard for me. And I have already seen all those links you listed before this post. I am lost.

@ArtFoundation can you recommend or list any good tutorial for vector constraints and body movers?

The link is broken.

[300000 chars

Body mover wiki page
VectorForce

Have you tried these resources? I have not found any very good tutorials so far but YouTube tutorials work well in practical use of some of them.

Okeanskiy’s Anti-Gravity videos show you a practical use of BodyPosition. BodyGyro controls orientation usually for making players turn a certain way. BodyVelocity gives velocity to a player that is different from their body part velocity that I have seen in flying scripts.

Vectors and CFrames involve linear algebra which may be advanced to you naturally as it’s some high level math. If you understand trigonometry then it will help with linear algebra more. Here’s a YouTube series about it, its good at visualization.

@TheTurtleMaster_2 It’s fixed.

1 Like

Indeed, I plan later to update with scriptinghelpers as they are helpful outside the dev forum. Any popular Roblox Studio development discord server should help as well.

1 Like

Thank you for suggesting one of my articles! I think this is a really important thing to do so intermediates and beginners find more stuff easily
May I suggest a bunch of stuff:

1. Re-ordering the Basic API section, I think it should go from most important to less important. For example, I think Camera Manipulation is more important than pathfinding, so it definitely deserves to be before it. Also, I think the touched event link isn’t required. As for additions: Collection Service, Run Service, Tools, Debris, Context Action Service, pcall, and I’m sure there is a lot of stuff that could be added.
  2. Adding some EgoMoose’s work, I think he has a lot of good stuff, His articles, His youtube channel.
  3. Suggesting some math-related stuff like trigonometry, I don’t have a good series in mind, but there should be tons of resources on the internet, like this and this
2 Likes

Wow this helped alot yayyy alas I can kickstart my scripting

Try looking at @EgoMoose 's community tutorials and articles.

I looked at some of his ‘CFrame Advanced Tips and Tricks’ articles and realised that I needed to learn calculus first.
Hence, what I’m doing right now (though it gets kinda confusing cause everyone explains calculus with complex terms)
He gives you a reason why you’re not understanding it, hence you can just continuing learning things you’re not aware about until there’s no reason not to understand it.

2 Likes

Yeah Articles by EgoMoose are really helpful

Exactly! That’s why I everytime get lost in the middle of it. Though I have found a very cool channel which @ArtFoundation suggested (3Blue1Brown), He explains stuff with 3D visualization and it’s pretty understandable.

1 Like

I planned to have done most important and least important but did not have much time, I plan to soon. I will add videos/playlists in when I can.

I believe the Touched event link is necessary since it allows learning scripters to have a collision detection system in hand before they design their own. I pick the most commonly used instances and events and etc in that API section.

EgoMoose’s articles are very helpful I agree.

EDIT: Your suggested additions have been added! @starmaq

1 Like

You’re welcome. I recommend getting into the programming mindset with the essentials first before API.

1 Like

Yes that’s right I need to get a programming mindset. Btw I was reading lua aldready but I just quit reading it… You encouraged me to start it again

Unfortunately hub topics such as this are no longer allowed in this category. Feel free to repost this in #bulletin-board if you wish for it to still be viewable! Please remember to note the guidelines of that category, though.