Server Crashing

Not sure if this is what aspernator put, but this seems a little serious so I just wanted to make sure.

Edit: YouCheater was the one I found doing it

If this involves spamming the chat very quickly, already reported it.

Yeah it does

Spamming very fast crashes the server?! I better tell Unlinked in Innovation Security, he said he wont host trainings if the servers crash every 10 minutes :swag:

I think it would be best if you didn’t tell anyone. I don’t want it to spread around

plus I’m pretty sure the only way to fix this would be to disable the coregui chatbar so he can’t prevent it easy.

Too bad, I told him :confused:
Luckyly, few people were around… and maybe a 50 person server is helping crashes?

This fixed?
People were spamming the heck out of the chat, with these messages:
"paise alla or be sheked
“8======D”
“noob”
“k”
“Spam”
“INNOVATION SUCKS”
“PINEWOOD IS BETTER”
“Pinewood is better than innovation”

No crash (and yes, it was the Pinewood Computer Core, why the last 3 quotes existed)

I didn’t mean spamming like that. I meant like 1 chat per millisecond spam.

Hmm if you use a custom chat that erases all chat messages past 5 lines, maybe it won’t happen?

Now that is useful knowledge.

What about moderators needing to review the chat in respond to player reports? (Or are chat inputs stored somewhere else?)

When somebody is reported, the reporter’s chat log is sent to the moderators. You can change the length of the local log in settings. However, this makes it appear as if I could edit the chat log on my computer to incriminate somebody wrongfully and get anybody banned, so I don’t think it is client sided, even though the setting implies it is.

Someone was spamming "2v’… at like 30 posts per second… yep, our server did crash.

That means somebody was using an SB chat bot and they set the chat rate up really high so, it can’t even paste correctly. Anyway, to prevent it, check locally to see how fast the player is chatting, and if they are chatting too fast, disable their ChatGUI using SetCoreGuiEnabled. Like, if they chat 3-5 messages in one second, disable their chat for a few seconds and then re-enable it.

That means somebody was using an SB chat bot and they set the chat rate up really high so, it can’t even paste correctly. Anyway, to prevent it, check locally to see how fast the player is chatting, and if they are chatting too fast, disable their ChatGUI using SetCoreGuiEnabled. Like, if they chat 3-5 messages in one second, disable their chat for a few seconds and then re-enable it.[/quote]

Does this actually crash the server - if they use a macro to super-spam the chat? (Can someone confirm this or maybe I’ll test it too) Wow. And even if it doesn’t, auto-muting them with SetCoreGuiEnabled is a good idea, thanks.

That means somebody was using an SB chat bot and they set the chat rate up really high so, it can’t even paste correctly. Anyway, to prevent it, check locally to see how fast the player is chatting, and if they are chatting too fast, disable their ChatGUI using SetCoreGuiEnabled. Like, if they chat 3-5 messages in one second, disable their chat for a few seconds and then re-enable it.[/quote]

Does this actually crash the server - if they use a macro to super-spam the chat? (Can someone confirm this or maybe I’ll test it too) Wow. And even if it doesn’t, auto-muting them with SetCoreGuiEnabled is a good idea, thanks.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s totally possible. I know people who have done it and have successfully crashed the server.

Ill work on the “Spam Protection” thing, seeing I am working on other Anti-Exploit measures to open source.
Also… tried to reconnect to a spam-crashed server, just gave me with the ID=17 issue.

Just wanted to say that we’re aware of the issues with the recent release. We’re working on fixes now. Thanks for the report.