Should I focus on building inside a room with more details, or outside with less details?

Recently I spend less time making my showcases. I want to hear feedback from the community. Should I focus on building inside a room with more details, or outside with less details? More detailing for housing in a small building (more area to recognize). Less detailing for a big area (more area to explore).

1 Like

You should do both, because it will bring alive the game.

2 Likes

So, like adding big and small areas in my map, both have lots of details. I like that idea.

1 Like

It depends what the player will be able to see the most and what the game is more focused on. Such as if your game takes place in a arcade then you would focus more on the interior, and vice versa. If your game is a mix between indoors and outdoors then you should spend equal time on both areas of the game.

2 Likes

Never cut back on time with showcases.

Put in effort and always pay attention to detail. Showcases that are rushed out and lack detail aren’t appealing to players.

Pay attention to detail everywhere and anywhere possible. Detail is what makes players appreciate and recognize the time that goes into a showcase or a build.

if you focus on outside first the room inside will get smaller and not much space so… I recommended you to focus on inside first then focus outside.
anyway, that it and I will see you next time (or m I?)

I’d say it depends on the objective of your showcase - this sort of thinking starts at the conceptualization stage. if you’re focusing on building an interior there’s a lot more to think about narrative wise (what sort of props, posters, furniture or miscellaneous details identify the people occupying that space?) - if the concept is told more through the interior, then only detail the exterior as much as needed to be believable. on the other hand, if the concept is more about a composition or layout (an island, city street, etc) then the focus would be on how to create structures and props which bring together that composition, while only detailing interiors again as much as needed to be believable. the exact extent of both is pretty much up to your patience or building skills, but I think the general rule of thumb is simply “what do you want to focus on?”

1 Like