Should I humiliate hackers...publicly?

Hey! I’ve thought about ways of combating hackers as to not hack/play the game again. And the best thing I’ve thought of is public humiliation. You know, a way of showing that they are scummy in a way everyone can see. My problem is: will this work and if so, am I too harsh? So, pretty much in my game, you have ranks that show above the player’s head. Pretty normal, right? Well, I have a value in my game that records all the coins you’ve ever had, and the more coins you gain the higher the value gets(the value can’t go down). It’s pretty much a total coins value. And if your coins(current coins, the value you spend) goes higher than your total coins, then it’ll give you a “Hacker” rank. Is this too harsh/will it work code wise?

8 Likes

Uhhh well the idea of trying to humiliate people who try exploiting your game seems a bit unnecessary in my opinion. However what you proposed probably would have no effect. The people exploiting your game most likely don’t care if they are given a label saying as such. Some probably would even enjoy it, since many exploit in part for notoriety.

8 Likes

What about having the rank but also making the game unplayable. Something like Jailbreak’s cage system.

That’s up to you. I guess it would be funny to watch, but since most hackers use lots of alts and would switch immediately after that happens, it would, in my opinion not be worth the time it takes to implement.

1 Like

Yes, but if they continue to hack, alts would be virtually useless, as they’d get 5 minutes of fun before the same thing happens to them.

Sorry for my english

I’m pretty not sure if it’s effective, but in my game, I teleport exploiters to another place, and then there are some “outdoors” explaining why hacking is bad and how it destroys other players’s experience. After that, I ban them for a while (like 1 week), giving a second chance. If the player exploits again: perm ban. The hardest part is choosing the right words and sound friendly, so the exploiter doesn’t feel “threatened”.

My point is, maybe it’s better to talk (or try at least) with an exploiter than humiliating them. But again I’m not sure if it’s effective, but I guess public humiliation would make an exploiter angrier and ashamed.

3 Likes

I don’t really agree with the “be nice to the hacker” thing, I feel like it makes them feel too comfortable, somewhat like if a dog hurt you and you calmly asked it to “stop”. It’s not going to work. I don’t know if it’s effective so I’ll test with it for about a week or two and see if it works or not. By the way, your english was pretty good.

6 Likes

Well, I have to agree with you.

I choose to do this because 99% of exploiters are kids and they think hacking makes them coolest and better, but I try to show them that it’s the opposite. Doing this mainly in roblox, where the devastating majority of players are children with a developing brain, helps them to have an idea of what is right and what is wrong. That’s what I thought when I was thinking about a “punishment”.

But what you said about the dog made me think about it :thinking:

Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gosh, I didn’t really think of it like that. Now that I think about it, most exploiters are kids who think that their V3rmillion hacks are cool. I still think public humiliation is somewhat a good tactic as, like you said, they are children with a developing brain, and that same developing brain doesn’t care if it’s not “cool” or “better”. As long as they’re impressing their friends, they don’t give a damn if someone shows them what the rest of the world thinks. Thanks for giving me an insight, though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hmmm. Following this point, if they care about reputation, maybe public humiliation wouldn’t be that bad.

Now I have to think about creating another punishment system for my game. Thank you for everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem, I hope I helped with thought. Thank you for helping me see certain things, too :slightly_smiling_face:. By the way, I saw someone on the dev forum talk about how he might just crash the hacker’s computer/client. So if you don’t want to do public humiliation, maybe try this :thinking:

2 Likes

Take a look at this topic, there are so many great and funny ideas:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/what-is-a-good-way-of-punishing-hackers-instead-of-kicking-them/746273/211

Honestly, I would love it lol. But I guess it’s against roblox TOS, but if doesn’t, that would be cool!

2 Likes

Jailbreak put them in a small cage so it’s probably fine.

1 Like

What’s the point? Exploiters don’t care and they use sock puppet accounts anyway. You’d be wasting your time on a fruitless endeavour. Just focus on game security. Trying to prevent exploiting from happening in the first place is a better use of your time than going out of your way to do things like this.

6 Likes

Wow, you found the EXACT post, lol.

From that point of view, yeah, it’s a waste of time, doing nothing more than giving in to what they want. Of course, I’m going to try to prevent exploits in the first place, but if they DO find a work-a-round, why not let some other people have a fun time?

No, exploiters would most likely enjoy the attention.

Are you sure? I don’t really know, but I could be wrong.

What about instead of a “Hacker” rank they get a “Pure Scum” rank?

1 Like

While this idea sounds good, it’s a unique rank for players, players might actually seek out the rank since it’d be a rare rank to have.

Instead just cap their FPS at 10.

local fps = 10
local clock = tick()

while true do
    while clock + 1/fps > tick() do end
    wait()
    clock = tick()
end
5 Likes