Should you pre-build additional add-ons and features and hold them back as future updates, or release everything at once?

Do you think there is merit in holding back potential features and new areas/levels of a game to roll out as “updates” to keep users involved? Or is it better to launch everything at once, and try to make updates as the game gets popular?

I know it’s important to release a great initial product, but I also know updates can take time to make, and if you start to catch fire per say, you want to be able to keep your community involved, and active but updating frequently.

Can anybody help a guy out from experience?

3 Likes

If I were you I would release a good bit of content first, then add in features. If you release everything at once then players won’t have a reason to come back to your game and there won’t be any excitement.

For sure hold some content back, doesn’t need to be pre made, but updates are key to player retention.

Gotcha, that is what I was thinking.

The struggle is just figuring out what to release and what to wait on when you have an idea I guess.

Make sure you have a good amount of content out as base gameplay. Maybe like 70% and save the rest to release afterwards.

Definitely add hold back some updates.
Its easier on you if you get the work done beforehand, it gives you a lot of time to work on the next big update without having to worry about players getting bored. Player count starting to drop? Release some new features, and work on the next big update so they will still be there for that. Things like bugfixes should be prioritized and released ASAP.

Its super good for finding bugs within your new content update as well. You can test as much as you want, reducing the amount of work you have to do to fix it in the future.