Simulate Different Types of Players In Studio

As a Roblox developer, it is impossible to simulate players that have different memberships, gamepasses, or clothing directly from Studio.

For instance, if I need to test the functionality an OBC-only feature, I need to find a player on Roblox who is willing to test my game. This takes a lot time and energy, especially when making modifications to membership features frequently. This also would help if I needed to test whether or not gamepass functionality would work, or if players with certain clothing can use certain features created by a developer. In addition, the place owner cannot be simulated via a local server while other players are being simulated.

An addition like this to Studio would save developers large amounts of time and energy searching for a specific set of testers.

35 Likes

Yes, I agree it would be useful to be able to modify some of the Player’s read-only properties like MembershipType, AccountAge, and FollowUserId (the latter of which would be more useful for live games than Studio).

As for owned assets and character appearance, I’m unsure how we could offer anything easier than what’s already currently possible. A shirt can more easily be acquired by using the properties window to change your shirt ID than having some weird test player configurer for instance. Any suggestions for how this could be made more convenient?

11 Likes

Perhaps a “random player” test function, and a “custom player” test function?

This can be useful if you want to test functionality with certain types of packages, hats, membership types, or with users under the age of 13.

I know this is entirely possible through a plugin or a script, but it would make the process of game testing a lot easier and faster to perform.

6 Likes

I forgot that shirts and pants can be easily added manually, a bit of oversight on my part. Hats are still a slight issue, as they can take a while to manually insert. Maybe some popup which allows you to add a hat to a player?

I love the idea, it would certainly be helpful.

I also have a suggestion regarding testing with players in studio but unsure if it would be appropriate to be here or not… I guess it can be moved later if not so…

I’ve been having a lot of issues when testing in studio at the times that I need multiple players in the game, using studio’s server feature allows me to create players yes, however each player that is created creates its own studio window. Unfortunately my computer cannot handle this and would often freeze all windows and then crash or it would run, but in both cases my computer would alert me that its running out of memory.

Suggestion:

As a developer it would be helpful if I can create multiple players and have them all run in one studio window where each player will be their own tab and I can flip through them.

This would help me and I’m sure others by speeding up the development and testing.

I really like this idea

Suggestion for maybe adding the ability to RunService:CreatePlayer(int UserId) from a Studio environment to attach the simulation of player with UserId to the server as a new player?

This sounds like a good way to go about it.

Create new server with 0 players
Depend on server to create new users to test with

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot how difficult hats were to insert by default. Maybe an official Roblox plugin for customizing test players would work well. Integrating it into the API e.g. setting hats in TestService would be awkward.

https://gfycat.com/NiftyObedientIndusriverdolphin

In plugin:

_G.insert = function(id) 
	local items = game:GetObjects("http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id="..id)
	for _,v in next,items do 
		v.Parent = #game.Selection:Get() == 1 and game.Selection:Get()[1] or workspace
	end
	game.Selection:Set(items)
end

You can set a test player’s CharacterAppearanceId to someone else’s UserId, and when they respawn they’ll use that user’s appearance.

Yes but api calls will still treat the user as who they really are.

I mean being able to player:IsInGroup() a pseudo-player and it acting as if it were the player you’ve set Studio for them to be.

1 Like

This is definitely a good idea.

I’ve been writing some custom physics as of late and if I had the ability to easily simulate players with different masses and weights it would seriously help me to improve performance.

1 Like

I would definitely love to be able to emulate a different player in studio.

For example, if I’m writing an admin system for my games, I want to be able to test how my code would react to different people with different permission levels.

Having this feature added would definitely be a lot more intuitive and hassle free than the methods we have as of right now.

1 Like

This is a really bright idea, I support this 100% This could help with an immense amount of features during tests.

2 Likes

Very sorry to necrobump this, but I still believe this feature could serve a profound use to some developers.

3 Likes