Site 74: Heads-Up Display

Hello DevForum,
I’m looking for feedback on the Heads-Up Display I’ve created for my upcoming SCP Foundation.
I would like constructure feedback on the design and functionality of the design.
A few points:

• I know the chat box doesn’t correct reset. I plan on fixing this.
  • I know the character moves forward when using the status menu toggle. Not too sure how to fix this, but if anyone knows, I’d be grateful if you could tell me.
  • I plan on stopping the inventory menu from popping up when a player begins typing, instead just making the chat box appear at the bottom of the screen.
3 Likes

Ironically, although you’ve praised your chat system a lot in this video, I found it very annoying that you don’t allow more than one bubble to be displayed at a time. I was hoping to see an album of pictures but since you’ve supplied a video, it took all the longer to watch through just because of this.

I think I would also find it annoying as a user who types fast to be constantly barred by having to wait for a chat to go away before I can send something else. Hopefully you’ve also accounted for this case by delaying the bubble decay and updating the text when a new message is sent, otherwise that could play out to be a very poor user experience for some or potentially many.

Other than that, there isn’t really that much to be commenting on terms of design. It’s okay I suppose, but it’s nothing terrific or outstanding. I’m not sure how it would compare in contrast to the rest of your Guis or the game itself. With a fully black colour to it, hopefully the Guis don’t get obscured by dark areas or anything that isn’t a light shade in colour.

Good luck with your project.

Wow. I have no idea how to do this stuff so this seems like magic to me.

1 Like