Sky.UpperHue and Sky.LowerHue ColorSequences

why don’t we already have this?

While you are at it, would be nice if we could easily change the (Y) rotation of the entire skybox to easily position the sun at lets say perfectly over a nice beach.

3 Likes

Yeah this is weird we should already have this

4 Likes

I support this idea because it would be a big improvement for game customization, and gameplay.

Seeing as how Roblox implemented custom color fade option for trails and beam objects via color sequencing, Roblox should also consider letting users use color fading within Lighting for sky customization, and ambient customization. Lighting is a very important aspect in gameplay, and implementing color sequences for the Sky would empower the developing community.

This feature would greatly benefit developers and many others. I hope it will be possible to implement this. The future is bright :sunny:

7 Likes

Please yes! Skyboxes are so sad right now. They haven’t really had any love in over ten years.

8 Likes

I’ve been reconsidering this proposal, and I think the skybox system as a whole could be expanded to something better without needing to comply with these existing constraints. I think it’s best to let Roblox decide the best course of action here for what they want the future of skyboxes to be.

16 Likes

I support this feature and engine addition to skyboxes as it can improve the current skyboxes from top to bottom, customization and a new era for the Hues’ of skyboxes.

For the past several years customizing and messing around with skyboxes with other lighting elements, it has been hard and not the best to always use these elements often as having some sort of ColorSequence tab to Lighting would be pretty amazing and a game-changer to skies. Having this feature would open up the world and creativity of skyboxes across the Roblox platform with different colors from top to bottom instead of using the Atmosphere as a backup or technique for different Hues.

I and my team or other teams want to have a more and easy way for ColorSequence to be applied and somewhat controllable by us developers for different themes of the year like Christmas, Easter, or maybe the summer-time with a hazy LowerHue and a bright UpperHue on the skybox/game.

Good idea and plan for developers to do so, I’ve seen many games try to utilize and mimic this technique by manipulating the bottom/top of the skybox and use it in an external app to change it, and doing so does waste some time and having to upload textures and more. This is so more complex of a feature than doing the long-path of Hues.

A skybox overhaul might be the best for Roblox sometime in the future, beyond the skies…

7 Likes

I still massively support this. It’s about time the skybox gets overhauled as it’s currently too limiting which really lets down a lot of the realism I look for in a game with a day/night cycle.

4 Likes

i remember a while ago seeing a hack week showcase with a dynamic colored sky and it looked really good; ever since then ive noticed how really lacking the current sky system is
the gradient cant be controlled in any way other than the sun position, so working with sunsets can be pretty difficult without blacking out the skybox or oversaturating it with orange

2 Likes

Must be a feature for sure. I really want to use procedural sky because it looksbetter than what would toolbox offer. And you have so much less limits when you have a versatile sky

Great post - This would be a great tool to have more control over visuals.