StackOverflow-like System to replace Scripting / Building Helpers

(I know this has been done unofficially in the past for scripting, but the site is slow and inactive)

I find StackOverflow to be one of the best ways to find issues to my coding problems. If ROBLOX had it’s own official system similar to StackOverflow, it would do wonders for the community.
People often ask me where to go when they need help scripting and I think this is the best solution.

If you’ve never visited StackOverflow before, basically you just ask questions and then people post answers. These questions and answers can both be commented on and thanked.

The best part is that answers get voted up to the top for being good answers and people gain reputation for giving good answers.

This gives incentive for people to help other people and allows people to easily search for questions asked in the past and find the best answers to these questions!

I honestly believe, the only way to make something like this work and have it be effective is for ROBLOX to make it. It cannot be an offsite thing or you won’t be able to attract the amount of people needed for it to function.

Also formatted code is a MUST.

I like this a lot.

It has always been a huge hassle to go onto the Scripting Helpers forum (which has now been removed) and try to read walls of code that someone copy-and-pasted. No formatting at all.

Plus the whole way Stack Overflow works is just really handy in general.

[strike]www.ScriptingHelpers.com works great for scripting help. Only problem is that it’s not official.[/strike] I didn’t read.

Anyways, I’m all for this. I know some admins tried to get a stackexchange for roblox setup at one point, but it wasn’t active enough so it was closed.

I support all the way.

StackOverflow is very handy for me if I ever have a coding problem :slight_smile:

I would like to see a complet revamp of the Forums, before we zoom in at a certain category of users.

What I would like for the forum :

• Basic markdown support. (Bold text, etc)
  • Code formatting
  • Labels
  • Ability to filter on certain labels.
  • Quote a other user
  • and much more…

Also, I’d like to note that this would not be scripting specific. It could cover any type of problem someone might face on ROBLOX.

The first big step here would be to move off of the ancient ASP.NET forums that are currently used.

[quote] I would like to see a complet revamp of the Forums, before we zoom in at a certain category of users.

What I would like for the forum :

• Basic markdown support. (Bold text, etc)
  • Code formatting
  • Labels
  • Ability to filter on certain labels.
  • Quote a other user
  • and much more… [/quote]

I disagree. Simplicity is best for forums like those. They get enough spam as is.
Maybe code formatting on forums where such things belong? I could see people using it to make their “signature” fancy.