Strange Rendering Behaviour

Over the last day and a half users playing a game I developed in close collaboration have experienced lag and render issues. The day before, these users were playing, and did not experience lag on this scale.

We have reverted the game back to the 15th, out of curiosity of a possible script or physics based issue, however there was no luck and users still experience the same lag.

Players have described this phenomenon as random FPS drop spikes- where usually can drop as low as 7 FPS, in full consideration that the player used the first level settings for graphics- the lowest possible, following from this the whole entire map is being rendered despite the graphics settings set to low, this is very unusual behavior as in the past the whole map would ONLY render at full setting.

tl;dr - (Full) distance rendering on graphics setting 1? Major lag? New behavior as to previous months.

Further clarification can be provided on request.

Update - It seems that the client is rendering at graphics setting 10 despite the setting adjusted to setting 1.

I’m unsure any script can manually control setting so we’re rather confused here.

Link to the game please?

Be-warned long loading

I don’t see where you got the number 10.

Shift+F1:

Shift+F2:

No.

Graphics level 21:

Graphics level 1:

It’s fully dependent on some clients. Some people have the issue, some people don’t. Please be more constructive than critical.

I’m asking where you got this

Client is rendering distance as of graphics setting 10 when the setting is adjusted to 1. Distance-wise the same instances appear far far away regardless of setting it seems. This occasionally occurs according to several players. Sometimes far objects stutter in addition to this effect.

@Kiansjet

• the numeric ‘10’ is from the settings box inside the client menu.

• You could even see in my screenshot that despite setting 1, you could still see that building 500+ studs away as you labeled in one of your screenshots.

Although render distance is arbitrary as a numeric value since it seems to be calculated based upon the system’s capabilities and performance. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

With all due respect I don’t see how highlighting boxes and repeating what I did is going to help the situation despite the description.

Part Instancing was enabled two days ago on desktop. Maybe that’s the cause?

Can’t check on mobile, but can you describe which parts of your place are dynamic (e.g. part transparencies changing, especially those belonging to player characters)?

1 Like

We don’t have many parts in our games which have dynamic properties such as transparency.

It’s more-so a static city. I’ve taken a look into that post and I think it may be causing the issue but I’m not going to jump to conclusions just yet.

But as far as I’m aware the most dynamic things inside the game are the vehicles with changing turn-signals.

Your buildings have windows. Are a lot of these windows transparent?

ps if you want to disable part instancing temporarily in studio, you can set the renderer to DX9 in settings -> rendering.

Most of our windows are translucent / opaque and we usually compensate that by setting reflectance. Glass material is avoided.

Can you try running this command and telling me the output? This just counts how many parts with a transparency > 0 are on your map.

local tCount = 0
for _, v in next, workspace:GetDescendants() do
    if v:IsA("BasePart") and v.Transparency > 0 then
        tCount = tCount+1
    end
end

print(tCount)

The reason why I’m asking is that semi/transparent parts are a bit costly. If you have a skyscraper with transparent windows, you can try using one large transparent part instead (if you arent already)

3885, Including props and etc.

We often combine instances with transparency for large buildings and objects.

1 Like

Development Support is not for posting bugs. Please use the post approval process, described in section 15.1 of this thread to report.