Studio 2013 crashing VERY frequently

Studio tends to crash a lot whenever I begin to click and drag to select text inside the Lua editor.

This happens VERY frequently. I just experienced a crash twice under 5 minutes, and it’s really impending on my ability to make stuff.

It happens in under a split second. Studio doesn’t slow down or anything; it just HAPPENS.

Please look into this. I have a feeling it has to do with the “spellcheck”-esque feature which checks your syntax. (And underlines it with red if it’s wrong)

Reason being is because I haven’t seen this bug in the Lua Script editor prior.

Also, while I’m on the subject of Roblox Studio, could you please fix the mouse glitch when you open up Studio windows?

If I run a new window and I don’t select it/ have it open as it loads, my mouse spazzes out and gets stuck in the top left corner of the screen. I have to click and drag all the maximized windows I have, to make them smaller in order to get to the window that’s causing the bug.

This happens frequently when using Test Solo/ Test Server, Test Player.

Issues are also happening by me.

This text highlighting crashing has effected me too. I lost ten minutes of work (possibly even more) because of it.

Alt+Tab instead?
It should be easier.

This seems to be similar to this thread: http://developer.roblox.com/forum/bug-reports/707-code-highlight-crash-4-specific-lines-cause-crash

Currently investigating this. Can any of you by any chance provide us with information on whether you are doing anything out of the ordinary here? Using any new services, perhaps the LUA Debugger? Do you maybe notice this more with larger scripts? Do most the crashes happen when you Run the script in studio and then Reset? I’m trying to reproduce this on a pretty hefty script, however I am not having much luck!

Any details at this point would be helpful!

[quote] This seems to be similar to this thread: http://developer.roblox.com/forum/bug-reports/707-code-highlight-crash-4-specific-lines-cause-crash

Currently investigating this. Can any of you by any chance provide us with information on whether you are doing anything out of the ordinary here? Using any new services, perhaps the LUA Debugger? Do you maybe notice this more with larger scripts? Do most the crashes happen when you Run the script in studio and then Reset? I’m trying to reproduce this on a pretty hefty script, however I am not having much luck!

Any details at this point would be helpful! [/quote]

It happens to me randomly sometimes. I don’t think the script’s amount of lines of code matter:

It happened when I was scrolling down the script while holding the mouse highlighting code (I’ve made this crash occur three times purposely, so the odds of this happening is not slim at all). Server test, Lua Debugger, etc. is not enabled nor running. Just plain ol’ edit mode is when it crashes for me.

I guess the next thing that would help me is if I could try using your exact script and trying to reproduce the effect. I understand if you are not comfortable with giving me the script due to the fact that it’s your work, but if you could I can promise you that it will not leave this computer and be deleted as soon as I get some information out of it and if I can repro these events. This situation has been a finnicky issue and neither me nor another staffer that has been trying to deal with this can get it to reproduce even semi-consistently.

Edit: I was gonna private message you my email, but I can’t seem to find the private message button… what?

[quote]
Edit: I was gonna private message you my email, but I can’t seem to find the private message button… what? [/quote]

There’s no messaging system on this site yet.
You should give John a nudge about that. :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, Testin423’s account on ROBLOX is also Testin423 - perhaps you could message him there/email his email associated with that account

[quote] I guess the next thing that would help me is if I could try using your exact script and trying to reproduce the effect. I understand if you are not comfortable with giving me the script due to the fact that it’s your work, but if you could I can promise you that it will not leave this computer and be deleted as soon as I get some information out of it and if I can repro these events. This situation has been a finnicky issue and neither me nor another staffer that has been trying to deal with this can get it to reproduce even semi-consistently.

Edit: I was gonna private message you my email, but I can’t seem to find the private message button… what? [/quote]

Apologies if the gif I posted above was confusing to recognize what was happening, I would of made it capture the whole studio but I’m limited by the size of .gif files I can post on here. Anyways, I can give the script I used. My email is: supersmash567@gmail.com if you want to contact me of any sort.

Here’s the script:

How I reproduced it like in the gif I posted above was scrolling up and down while highlighting (not using the wheel on the mouse) and kept doing that until it crashes. May take few tries, but once its happened; it occurs more often for some reason.

It’s not happened to me, for like, ages. Not since I installed a 32 bit version of windows 7 instead of a 64 bit one.

Maybe it’s to do with the architecture your system is running in? Could be WOW64 or whatever the name is.

This just started happening to me last night. I wasn’t having any issues for the weeks prior, but every since last night Studio 2013 has been crashing hourly.

I’m always paranoid roblox studio is going to crash anytime I open a script.

Hey if this has happened to you in the past couple of days, post the username your were logged in as at the time.

I’ll ask the ROBLOX Studio team to comb through the crash dumps to see if anything pops out.

It’s very possible that we have introduced new crashes recently, but over the last 3 months we’re looking fairly good:

[quote] It’s very possible that we have introduced new crashes recently, but over the last 3 months we’re looking fairly good:

[/quote]

I’m probably the one in the middle between 09/15 - 09/29

Any word on the mouse glitch? :whistle: