Studio generates/renders low quality thumbnails upon publishing with FiB/new lighting updates

1. What issue are you having? Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

When a place has its thumbnail setting set to “Auto-Generated”, the last thing on the studio viewport is set as the thumbnail for the place’s game page, however it seems that with the recent updates to the lighting, the thumbnails generated do not like/recognise these new lighting changes.

1. Does the bug happen 100% of the time?

After testing with different lighting settings(Shadow Map, Voxel, Compatibility, Legacy), the issue still persists. Restarting studio does not solve the issue.

1. If so, are there steps that reproduce the bug?

The bug is seen when the generated thumbnail has shadows in most scenes and I am not so sure what these conditions are, but I was able to reproduce the bug in two of my places. One place that is affected by the bug generated a very odd image, this can be seen below in the photos section of this post.

1. Which OS and version are you using?

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1903

1. Photos
Game 1

Shadow Map:

Voxel:

Compatibility:

Legacy:

What it’s supposed to look like(Shadow Map):

Game 2

Shadow Map:

What it’s supposed to look like(Shadow Map):

(Right click the images and click open image in new tab, the forum is cropping the rest of the image out)

Please note that my quality levels are set to 21. I also believe this is not a graphics bug on my end as the rendering issue happens after the game is published.

1. When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

I believe this started happening after FiB started rolling out to the public, however the issue was not yet present with Voxel back then.

6 Likes