Studio is Ending Support for Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)

Not only that, but Roblox probably uses a lot of metrics to determine if it’s worth discontinuing support for an operating system. It’s indicative that an insignificant portion of Roblox developers are running off of Yosemite. It’s overall a great step forward.

10 Likes

Oh thank gosh, mine is 10.11 I thought I wouldn’t be able to do my favorite part of roblox for a second!
Edit: This was a while ago, I have a new computer now.

6 Likes

This is definitely upsetting to those who run this operating system on their devices, but with newer updates coming I think this is an awesome idea. Thank you, Roblox.

3 Likes

Actually, all Macs that officially support OS X 10.10 Yosemite are officially supported by OS X 10.11 El Capitan and all macOS updates have been avaliable for free since OS X Mavericks 10.9 which was released a year before Yosemite.

4 Likes

I believe this would make sense since the system will get out-dated. Even if you were to update it with new versions, the out-dated Mac OS and 10.10 would not handle the studio. Possibly meaning to crash every time it gets open depending how hard it is to load in the studio. This is well needed.

3 Likes

I’m all for old OSes being discontinued because it allows us to focus on the newer OSes so Roblox can add new features.

4 Likes

I find this to be a double-edged-sword (or something along those lines). I feel bad for those who can’t upgrade in the near future, as they will have to discontinue Roblox development until they can upgrade, there might be a good reason. Roblox doesn’t have support for older operating systems mainly due to security issues, which is why we can’t play Roblox rocking a Windows version with hills as the default wallpaper (you know what I mean).

3 Likes

Considering that only 3% of Mac users are running OS X 10.10, I think that it is a good time to end support for a 6 year old OS. All Macs that officially support OS X 10.10 are officially supported by OS X 10.11.6 and macOS updates have been free since 2013. So if you are still using OS X 10.10, then you should really update to 10.11 because it is more up to date, more secure and has better performance and you will still be able to run Studio for at least 1 year from now.

6 Likes

All Macs that support Mac OS X 10.10 can upgrade to Mac OS El Capitain for free, Apple doesn’t charge for software updates

3 Likes

Maybe there is hardware limitations or something like that?

i also use windows so i dont know much about mac os

5 Likes

Totally makes sense. All Macs running OS X 10.10 can switch to El Capitan for free with an update. Also they are 2008 products so it’s time for a hardware upgrade. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

When will client also move forward?

Because the most concerning part is that on the mobile counterpart of macOS aka iOS, the roblox app still supports iOS 8, which came out the same year as Yosemite in 2014. In return, forces roblox to support a device such as iPhone 4S which goes upto iOS 9, but has no where near the amount of ram to open the app without crashing.

2 Likes

Think Roblox and Studio icons will be improved to better fit in the newer MacOS’s cough cough big sur? I mean to be fair, it doesn’t really fit with any other icons in my dock. It’s not a huge deal, but I hope this is updated, especially given you’re ending support for an older OS.

6 Likes

I assume the reasons for them to drop Mac OS 10.10 (Qt framework upgrade) aren’t applicable to the desktop/mobile client (which I assume doesn’t use Qt), so support for those will be dropped when they’re no longer able to support them

3 Likes

I have Windows 10, the current version. Will this affect me?

3 Likes

Nope. This only applies to users that have Mac OS X 10.10

3 Likes

Yep, just asked someone. Thank you for telling me!

5 Likes

Understandable, as tech moves on roblox has to I guess

last year, my 9 year old iMac could just about run studio :joy:. No point supporting an OS nobody uses.

2 Likes

A sad announcement, but a necessary one. As is true with all other software, backwards compatibility will only extend so far.

This does mean that with less resources being put into compatibility for an older version, more resources will be put into newer features and improvements, which is always a plus.

3 Likes

Understandable, I respect the hustle to keep the support for those platforms usable for the longest time you could provide.

Although I do agree it was long outdated and was getting harder and harder to support over the years. All respect to this decision is still with me.

3 Likes