Suggestions for a Dashing/Dodging System

So I’m currently looking to improve my game’s dodging system and want to know the best way I should go about moving a player’s character.

I currently have 2 versions one which changes the characters HumanoidRootPart’s Velocity locally and one which fire’s a RemoteEvent and has the server place a BodyVelocity inside the characters HumanoidRootPart.

The benefit of changing the velocity of the character from a local script is that it’s simply faster and feels a bit smoother in game. The downside of this, however, is that it’s done locally and exploiters could probably bypass the in game’s “Energy” requirement by recycling the code and running it on their own.
The benefit of using the server to create a BodyVelocity is that the server can do an energy check first, preventing exploiters from spamming the dash. The downside of this is that it doesn’t feel as smooth as simply changing the characters velocity from a local script.

Is there any otherway to go through the server, while still making a crisp dashing system?
I’m open to any suggestions! Thanks!

2 Likes

Basically you need to fire an event and do positional checks to see if they player is moving too fast. If they’re spamming the dash, it should be relatively easy to detect.

1 Like

This is correct as they already have NetworkOwnership over their character. There isn’t really any point in doing it on the server as the exploiter’s could do it regardless. Best you can do is monitor them with the server to make sure they aren’t moving excessive distances.

That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for your advice!

1 Like