Suitable size for an open world game?

hello,
I have been brainstorming a game idea for almost a month now and I have finally come across an idea. Although I am not aware of what size most open world maps are? If there are any sizes you used for a map that was fairly large but not ‘huge’ then if you could possibly tell me the studs x studs I would greatly appreciate it.

(Sorry if this is the wrong thread I’m fairly new)

2 Likes

It depends on the kind of game and how many players per server, but I would usually do approximately 100 studs in each direction (not including downwards) per player. If it’s a open world ffa PvP then you may want to do 200 per player. If you are making a game that has a lot to do with going underground then I would make it somewhere from 1000 - 10,000 studs deep.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I hadn’t thought about direct proportioning.

Depends on the scope of your open world game. Depending on all what you want to have in the game, it can help you determine how big to size your map.

Let’s say you want 5 towns, you should figure out the size of the town and how apart they should be. Kinda plan out your map. Or as @Coeman_577 said with the # studs per direction, that will work as well. You don’t want it to be too big as that may cause problems with filling in space.

It depends on how long someone’s going to be playing the game for before they’ve done everything; if the game doesn’t have much the map should be fairly small and if it’s a game with a lot of things to discover then the map should be a lot bigger.