Support for .wav files

Yeah, using .wav in Roblox games would certainly be too much overhead… imagine music! My post was rephrased by site management, but I definitely don’t advocate for .wav in game :grimacing: All I want is the ability to upload .wav files, compression to .ogg on Roblox’s back end.

10 Likes

ableton can export mp3s fine

9 Likes

Since .wav files are usually lossless, and meant for production and/or further processing, it makes sense that they can not be uploaded directly. Having Roblox auto-convert the files on upload would be useful, but it would increase upload time drastically and the conversion process could become quite time consuming/resource-expensive.

I’ve personally never ran into the issue of wanting to upload a .wav file, since balancing all your sounds to the same level is usually a good idea. I wouldnt want Roblox to handle the conversion for me without any control over the quality / output either.

8 Likes

This is from Live 10 and forward, but the majority of people are still using Live 9, where there is no native support for mp3 export. Also mp3 files add audible padding to the beginning and end of files, wouldn’t suggest using them to begin with.

As for the original post, my workflow is in wav as well, I export everything in wav for master source files in high quality, and if I need to upload lets say 10 small sound effects the conversion programs that exists are somewhat bad. Audacity is fine, but not really for bulk processing. Roblox being able to automatically convert wav files on upload would be amazing.

10 Likes

Gonna go ahead and give this a bump. Inconvenient to have to download another program to deal with .wav files. An automatic conversion would be great.

8 Likes

I’m finding this extremely frustrating.

Please just turn my .wav into an mp3 or ogg for me. Probably ogg is a better default since it won’t snap on loop. Sound effects websites all have .wav presumably because there are no compression artifacts. So this is probably a common waste of developer’s time.

28 Likes

Support for this. I may be uploading hundreds of audio files in the future to Roblox for a game I may be working on, and every one of these is a .wav file. Either supporting the upload of these or auto converting them would save a lot of time, instead of having to convert every one of them to something such as .ogg or .mp3.

5 Likes

Didn’t know this, thanks for the tip! Still, I do not upload .mp3 files because they have a brief moment of silence at the beginning, so I wouldn’t be exporting them from Ableton like this to use in my games, I would always prefer .ogg.

2 Likes

I export all my stuff as wav files and having to convert them to mp3 beforehand is a bit clunky and time consuming, why the upload tool cant convert to ogg idk

3 Likes

Best method to convert to .ogg is usually by exporting to .wav format first. Import this audio to Audacity and export to .ogg. It does not hurt the quality too much, but make sure you set the quality on around 6-8.

3 Likes

.wav is used in all the Samples I bought, all the sound FX I have licensed for commercial use.
MP3 doesn’t even loop correctly, we only have .ogg support essentially. More work for a bastardized product.

Please support .wav format.

2 Likes

This would be a really handy feature, as I also almost always use .wav instead of .mp3 or .ogg.

Time to switch over to FL Studio! :wink:

Kidding aside, I would definitely support a feature like this.

2 Likes

WAV support and conversion would be really convenient.

For easy or mass conversion, I use FFmpeg.
ffmpeg -i "audio.wav" -acodec libvorbis "audio.ogg"

1 Like

I need this. I use some third-party resources for sounds and they often only have .wav as a file format for downloading sounds. To have to convert it to mp3 or ogg is an annoying process when uploading it directly should be supported.

1 Like

Roblox to invest in audio as much as Unreal did, would be awesome. Allowing one to create some audibly intense moments. lol

1 Like

It’s still wild that in 2023 the only formats you can upload audio to Roblox in are MP3 (proprietary) and OGG. Roblox should support, at the very least, WAV like Unity and Unreal Engine 5.

2 Likes

I mean there is a reason this isn’t added though. .wav is lossless audio format so it easily ends up big in file size. .mp3 and .ogg are lossy audio formats aimed for low file size.
Not like im against .wav addition, but i feel like this is why roblox won’t potentially add this. This could affect ppl with poor connection marginally. Could at least allow us to let roblox do the job of converting .wav to supported format.
That’s only my opinion why wouldn’t roblox add .wav format, but again, I’m not trying to make it yet another “but this will nuke the mobile phones if X is done!!!” excuse. Of course .wav addition is possible, if roblox wants to.

1 Like

They do.

This feature request does not imply that the 20 MB file size limit should be removed. I don’t see an issue. It’s not that big in memory. And that’s the developer’s fault if things get too resource intensive on the client.

also, when are we going to be able to have the option to not automatically compress MP3s into OGGs?

2 Likes

Bump.

This would be very handy.

1 Like

Bump. I would like to see this feature.

1 Like