SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

This puts Roblox back into the modern graphics competition.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue :confused:

1 Like

Is there any way to access/download the color/normal maps for the basic Roblox materials? For example, I have a sculpture that uses SurfaceAppearance for its normal map, but I want the color texture to match the concrete material. It would be nice if I could download the base concrete material texture so I could create a matching texture for the SurfaceAppearance sculpture.

1 Like

It appears that specular highlights/shadows from Normal maps don’t appear when the part is affected by ShadowMap shadows. If a spot light is used to generate light in the shadowed area, there are still no specular highlights/shadows. Is this something that’s fixable? It seems like a huge issue if normal maps have no effect when in shadow of ShadowMap lighting (for example, anywhere indoors!)

In this example, I have a door with spherical rivets in a Normal map. You can see that at the top of the window (where there should be rivets), it appears completely flat because it is in shadow.

In this example, I added a light to brighten the area in shadow; there are still no highlights/shadows visible in the shadowed area.

1 Like

Change the technology to “Future”

1 Like

I’m a bit late but are you including the heightmap of your mesh in the normal map?

1 Like

If your working with substance painter use the OpenGL normal map instead of the regular one, this also includes the heightmap.

1 Like

Mirrored UVs are resulting in incorrect normals displaying. I exported my (OpenGL) normalmap ((included converted height details) from Substance, and my UV map has large parts mirrored for better texel density. The two sides of the mesh have normalmaps which are inverted as a result, and this usually isn’t the case in other game/render engines. The normals of the mesh itself are all fine and identical on each side. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

5 Likes

same, sort of.

for both sides my normal map is inverted. so faces that are supposed to be pushed in are pushed out, and vice versa.
Roblox:

Substance:

both lit from above. substance is correct, as the “sheen” is on the top. compared to the roblox model. where the sheen is on the bottom.
Rendered in OpenGL substance painter.

8 Likes

So when does this feature come out of Beta?

2 Likes

It’s out I believe, but it’s still in the beta tab.

2 Likes

to my knowledge, its still in beta. However, they can be viewed in-game
and you need the beta to edit them

2 Likes

So that’s what you’re hiding?

4 Likes

Any idea when we can tile them?

6 Likes

For some reason some meshes wont work with PBR. For the texture I’m using when it doesn’t work it just tints it green. And yes I am using a mesh and I am copying the id and not using the drop down menu or whatever its called. Here’s a place where this occurs. Right beside with the one that it doesn’t work is a mesh that works with it. PBR Glitches.rbxl (48.1 KB)
Also why is it when I apply PBR textures I keep lagging. It’s extremely annoying. Weird part is that if you rejoin studio its perfectly fine. I really wish these issues gets fixed because they’re very annoying when I’m trying to add PBR textures to objects. Also I have tried the trick of changing the property and waiting till it says “Successfully Compressed PBR Texture” I did it and it made no difference.

5 Likes

for the people asking, I have not used Substance Painter i just got a texture by making an diffuse map into a normal map then i uv mapped the parts so it looks good

1 Like

try going into edit mode in blender then pressing CTRL SHIFT N and turning off inside

1 Like

As I said in my post, the normals of the mesh are all facing the right direction. If they weren’t, the backface culling that’s present in Roblox by default would make it pretty obvious.

Thanks, though!

1 Like

No problem, I wish you good luck with fixing it!

1 Like

SurfaceAppearance seems to be broken for me. No matter what textures I use, it will always just show a pure color and nothing more.
For this test, I am using only 2 maps: a color map with a water texture, and it’s normal map.

61fdface5dffb20b6faf0e0a9ea1e0de
When applied to a simple blank grid mesh, I get this result.

AlphaMode is set to Overlay. Switching it to Transparency has no effect.

4 Likes