SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

Quick Question is this thing gonna effect performer lol?

6 Likes

Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be working as intended with material based textures.

On the left is a default MeshPart with a SurfaceAppearance with the full texture maps for the deformed material on the right (About 8.7k tris), and on the right are the meshes with the texture used for the colormap property for the SurfaceaAppearance. Anyone else running into similar issues? This seems to happen on all lighting technologies.

Edit: This seems to happen with anything involving SurfaceAppearance currently.

17 Likes

I’m kinda confused is that roblox terrain or meshes?

7 Likes

Roblox thats really cool feature I like how good it looks and I cant wait to get released for all of the developers on roblox

6 Likes

A very small scene with both surfaceappearance and FIB3. I can’t wait for this to be used on bigger games!

38 Likes

It Mesh and it would be impossible to do with roblox terrain lol

7 Likes

This is a really neat change. Thanks for the add Roblox!

Keep it up!

5 Likes

Thanks to this, we are now in the future! SurfaceAppearance will let us do so much more in making realistic models on Roblox Studio, thanks for this!

5 Likes

Awesome, glad to see it in the main build finally, I am however more so wanting to use it on parts but I assume if I wanted to have for example a floor or something I can just use a mesh part?

Currently starting a show case with the new lighting etc in mind and I want to use PBR textures to make it even more realistic.

Thanks Roblox for the amazing graphical changes you guys are bringing, looking forward to what the future brings, and also future games that may be made with the new features.

4 Likes

This is beyond exciting! One of the biggest updates on Roblox’ appearence since the R15 and FutureLight. Can’t wait to see my PC explodes while playing the masterpieces that the community will create! Amazing!

5 Likes

I’m so excited, as a builder I’ll be able to make my tools look more real. So in the future I’ll be able to make a heck of a great sword.

6 Likes

I love this hope you keep doing this incredible things for Roblox!

2 Likes

:+1:

Me and my friend are gonna have a lot of u fun with this.

5 Likes

Not currently, eh? I can’t wait for this to appear on regular parts. I’m sure this will be a huge step toward making a game more realistic. When I found out about the atmosphere object I had my mind blown. The game just looked much more realistic and a lot of customization was able to be added to a game. With this added to regular parts, you could actually make a leap of faith into a land of realism. I am all for this update! Continue making these types of update, I can’t wait to see what you have next in store for us.

8 Likes

Coincidentally, I was in Blender making stuff while this came out, I cannot wait to see what my creations are gonna look like in Roblox when I’m done.

Also feel like mesh deformation is really close rn, please release it soon I cannot wait.

10 Likes

Can I ask you how you achieved the long wall being consistently textured? Trying to achieve the same thing but I’m getting nowhere.

10 Likes

The whole room is a mesh, you gotta treat it like other engines - purely textured meshes

6 Likes

ISSUE? Hey I built some stuff using SurfaceApppearance in the avatar evolution build but can’t open the place file, I have the beta feature enabled.

6 Likes

The test place looks amazing!

22 Likes

Just tried it out, I don’t use studio so I am not familiar with good lighting setups but the normal map I generated does go through! https://gyazo.com/35206dc5acbb274cc7e509f4add72daa

4 Likes