SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

What is ColorMap for? Is that where we place the actual texture for the mesh?

4 Likes

it’s the diffuse texture for your mesh. basically Base Color

8 Likes

Ah, I thought that maybe we could use SurfaceAppearance over MeshPart.TextureID so that we could create textures with partially transparent sections - I guess not.

7 Likes

Time to read up on texturing and purchase Substance Painter.

I find it too bad that this isn’t backwards compatible though; All my old models are not UV unwrapped and therefore can’t use any of the additional maps.

@Homeomorph Are there plans to allow non-UV unwrapped meshparts to use SurfaceAppearance the way Materials apply to MeshParts?

11 Likes

This is amazing! You even fixed the trees!!

6 Likes

Finallyy! now I can make my place 10x more realistic!

196 Likes

This will be a great update to the Wonder Woman Event! Wonder Woman: The Themyscira Experience - Roblox
I will recommend you to fix all the broken parts or other items in the event before almost everyone dislikes the event. Thank you for this topic!

6 Likes

I just learnt that a “Diffuse Texture” is a normal texture and what I wanted, can be done now!

I look forward to this being released!

6 Likes

I wipe a tear from my eye. Such beauty. Such potential.

8 Likes

Super hyped for this update, it will make Roblox games look way more realistic!

5 Likes

It looks like one of those movies where the cartoom character escapes TV (looks so real that your avatar seems out of place)

6 Likes

MUG all made by me, from scrath, from textures to the topology.

And a quick note to the artists, apply FUTURE while developing with PBR, as light now affects normal maps in light and shadows.

28 Likes

Came just as I was getting into alpha texturing!

4 Likes

pizza

also future is bright pizza

62 Likes

Oh yes, that is hot! Can’t wait to use it!!!

5 Likes

That. Is. EPIC!
That is honestly amazing! Great work!

4 Likes

This looks awesome! This combined with something like the Future is Bright lighting system could make for some really high-quality games. I can’t wait to start experimenting with this for my own projects!

3 Likes

So awesome that roblox is finally making some tools for developers to make some really realistic stuff. I can’t wait to try this out and see what can be done!

3 Likes

What can I say? Applause! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

5 Likes

It’s hard to make absolute claims about performance. On high graphics quality levels, MeshParts with SurfaceAppearance read more texture data in their shader than MeshParts only using TextureIds, so they’ll be slightly more expensive. On low graphics quality levels, the extra textures are disabled, so performance should be similar between SurfaceAppearance and just MeshPart.TextureId. Low end devices in Automatic graphics level mode should have no issues.

Memory usage is a little more complex and is subject to change.

We have discussed the possibility of adding emissive textures. That seems like a likely addition at some point.

34 Likes