Switch PointLight / SurfaceLight / SpotLight to ColorSequence, or have a bool to enable ColorSequence

Hello, everyone!

My proposal is to switch the light instances to use ColorSequences, and to preserve legacy use, enable it only through a bool value, or allow ColorSequences to take Color3 values. Some of the use cases for this would be seamless transition between colors, and would also help preserve colors and prevent them from becoming washed out. or reduce the number of required light sources to achieve this effect. As @qqt991 put it, the colors should fade out to different colors the further it is from the source. Example being lava starting out as a bright orange or yellow and then fading out into red.

Here is a screenshot of my game’s lava pit that will hopefully demonstrate what I’m talking about:

Not only would this make multi-colored lights easier to create, but it would also improve performance since developers won’t have to use more than light instance in the same area.

10 Likes

To clarify, you want light sources to be able to emit one color that fades into another color further away from the source?

2 Likes

Yes.

I’ll put that in the original post. :joy:

1 Like