"DEFCON1" looking for additional programmer(s) + UI designers (With POC)

Introduction
Hello! My name is Poseidas and I’ve been on ROBLOX striving to create since my youngest years in life. I’ve been relatively inactive lately, but I decided I wanted to start anew here. I’m looking for some help developing a game I’ve recently started, only a small team because I am willing to admit that this would be a rather challenging undertaking to go alone. My knowledge in certain areas is limited, and I like to think that a group effort in making this game would help circumvent such issues.

The Team
@Poseidas - Lead developer (Programming & Game Design)
@Empty Slot - (Scripter & Debugger)
@Empty Slot - (UI)

About The Project:
I’m looking two knowledgeable individuals in order to help achieve the goal of a defense strategy game which takes elements of “building on a budget” from tycoons, as well as infiltration-style combat seen in popular games like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 Siege. I ask only for 3 things: Dedication, Honesty, and Creativity.

Proof of Concept, Place link, and Images:

POC Defense ROBLOX - YouTube
Go ahead and give it a test for yourself right here:
DEFCON 1 - Roblox
Updates since OP:
Speaking of Electric Fences

[2/1/2019] Updated: Collision detection is now good! Also got rid of some bad glitches. Time to move towards actual gameplay! Stay tuned, and if you’d like to try out for the team please contact me.

I’ve been working rigorously to get this idea off of the ground, and new assets and ideas are being pushed through daily. So I am left to imagine how quickly an end goal could be accomplished with more than just myself.

Payment
Upon joining the team (should you be qualified) you will receive a compensatory R$5000 as well as a 30% stake in any profits made by the game and any future games you might help develop.

Development Update:

Feel free to contact me on here or on ROBLOX!
Thank you! Please respond with any questions, suggestions, criticism, or really anything else!

3 Likes

Interesting proof of concept (and good on you for having a proof of concept), but can you give us a more in-depth description of what the game actually is, and what roles you’re looking to fill for your team?

1 Like

Absolutely!
So in the game there are two teams:
The attackers and defenders
The attackers will have:

1. A smaller budget (They do not need to purchase building supplies)
  2. Wider access to more weapons and tools

Defenders will have:

1. A large budget
  2. A lexicon of prefabs and objects to place within their boundaries in order to defend the objective
  3. Access to some weapons and tools, however, not as many as the attackers

The goal of the game is for the attackers to secure the objective (The beacon) and the goal of the game for the defenders (fairly obviously) is to prevent that from happening.

There will be no way to earn more money or resources in the game, so the defenders must build and plan with that in mind.

Rounds will be timed, and once the timer runs out - the defenders win. If the attackers secure the objective (by destroying it) prior to the timer expiring, the attackers win.

As for roles I’m looking to fill:
Primarily I just need someone who is able to code & create weapons. It’s something I’ve never done before because I’ve never created a game that’s needed them. I’d be doing anything between a 30% to 40% commission for the team member (If there were two additions to the team, likely 30%)

I would be open to having a designer/builder for in-game objects and game modes as well, but then I feel like I’d be doing next to nothing aside from providing a POC, so I’d rather avoid that.

4 Likes

So this a more advanced tycoon. You get to place things where you want build your own custom fort from premade models And then it goes from a more common one by having 2 teams battle against each other.

Sounds interesting and fun to play.

If you are looking for a programmer and not just ideas/criticism, I would advise you to add this into the main post or use the template as seen here, as it looks a lot cleaner!

1 Like

Love the idea! I would love to help you! To bad I already have 2 other projects.

I found a small bug tho, collision is a little bit broken:
I recommand using a Region3 to detect collision in place instaid of only mouse.Hit.

And since it’s a tycoon, why not add some basic droppers as buyables that can generate money during a match? And with that money you can repair wall that the attackers broke. And then have some teams that are dedicated to a sertain field. Example: Engineers, they can build walls and bunkers. Electricians they can build batteries etc.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! I’ll reformat it shortly.

I appreciate the input! I’m definitely still working out some kinks, and I have plans for ways to repair structures! As for the classes: I really like that idea. Though I wouldn’t like droppers and whatnot because then it could create imbalance and make the game too challenging for the attacking side. I can control the balance pretty well by limiting the amount of cash available. Still, I do appreciate the input and also like the other ideas quite a bit.

Sidenote: I know how to fix collisions with region3’s however I’m trying to find a way to do that while still letting fences intersect so that people can have walls & fences without gaps. If you have any suggestions, that’d be lovely!

You can try creating an invisible brick, make that brick a little bit smaller than the model. Then you can use EgoMoose’s rotated region3 to cast a region3 around that brick. This way you can have working hitboxes while still letting some parts of the fence intersect.

2 Likes

Defcon1? Sounds very similar to the popular Dutch hardstyle festival Defqon.1

2 Likes

Actually inspired by the US national defense condition system but interesting

So quick update: Collision detection is now fixed. Thank you for raising the concern. Also fixed a glitch allowing objects to be placed at odd angles! Thanks again for your help and feedback, and please feel free to provide any extra suggestions

I think this is a really good idea! I’d be glad to help out with UI if you’d like.
Here’s some of my previous work:
Pump Action (Game menu, not finished)
Jake’s Hangout (A simple play button thing, made this over a year ago)
Millama (An unfinished shooter I made with my friends)
BloxParty (I did the coin shop UI on this)

Thank you for the offer! I’ll take a look at those and I’ll let you know if I’m interested.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.