The definitive list of Roblox VR bugs/issues, broken down by headset

Howdy! I’m GregTame.
I’ve been working a lot over the past year with VR, and getting a lot of feedback from a lot of headsets.

Rift/Rift S/Quest:
*Inputbegan/inputended do not fire until about 0.2(ish) seconds AFTER trigger is fully actuated.

Windows mixed reality: (any model)
*triggers/grip buttons return Integer. (not sure if hardware limitation of WMR)
Roblox utilities track-pad input only, joysticks return nothing.
Track-pads do not fire input-changed when released. (this one cost me serious points at the RDC game jam)

Valve Index:
*ButtonL1/ButtonR1 as bound to the pressure sensor in the index. so to fire inputbegan/CAS with that button users have to squeeze controller very hard.
A buttons return ButtonL1/ButtonR1 on their respective hands
*GetUserCFrame is weird compared to how the controllers are IRL

Normally controllers would be in the palms of the character’s hands.

after going through this, and with the better understanding of roblox’s backend stuff I learned at RDC. a lot of these are… understandable as to why they work this way. So I’ve marked the more ‘bug-like’ behavior with an asterisk.

There’s still a few weird ones that i’m working on repro steps on, or seem more like an issue with a malfunctioning headset. If i find any more, I’ll be leaving them as a reply so that any engineers working on these issues can receive notification.

EDIT: realized i used the wrong category. should be engine bugs, not engine features. I changed it now.

35 Likes

Thank you for posting this info, very helpful! We will be reviewing this along with some general VR usability in the coming weeks.

22 Likes

As promised earlier. New bugs are being put in a reply. So here’s some new things i’ve either found, narrowed down to be VR related.

Oculus: When Studio is in VR mode, Deleting objects or having objects selected that it’s trying to delete causes a crash… It’s hard to narrow down a 100% occurrence. but deleting things is usually the most common cause. This behavior instantly stops when I unplug my headset and restart studio. but will resume when I plug it back in and restart.
I put this under oculus simply because I haven’t heard any reports of this happening with people using Steam VR headsets. but if that changes I’ll edit this.
Dump file: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/roblox-vr-studio-crash-dump-file/831015

Valve Index: Moving the joysticks(not clicking) fires ButtonR3/ButtonL3 on their respective sides.

10 Likes

In the coming weeks?? its been months…

6 Likes

Can confirm that the Oculus bug is still happening as of today. Makes it a hassle to try and develop Roblox VR experiences when I have to keep a mental note on whether or not to have the headset plugged in while in studio. Especially when I’m trying to troubleshoot things that require a lot of edits.

3 Likes

The Valve Index is probably the most unsupported headset in ROBLOX, I doubt they’ll ever fix it, I’ve been looking for ways to fix it but the closest thing I can get is NexusVR

1 Like

Bit late but it happens to me, works fine as soon as I unplugged the rift and restart studio.

2 Likes

The oculus trigger input delay bug still exists 14 months later

7 Likes

Using the VR cursor with roblox ui just doesn’t work anymore with the rift-s. The built in keyboard is extremely broken with not being able to type anything out.

3 Likes

I may of had found out why most of the UI is broken.
It’s probably because inst.MouseButton1Click isn’t firing when it should.

when testing out the virtual keyboard code I found that the clicked event do not print anything when you try to click on the keys.

Another thing I found out is that the Pannel3D module has features to scale UI with the headscale! they just don’t use it (for some reason).

2 Likes

WMR controllers support analog trigger & grip. However, Roblox only supports analog trigger, not analog grip. They have an analog SteamVR input for grip, but it doesn’t do anything, only the boolean grip does.

WMR controllers can be configured to work perfectly EXCEPT:

• Grip is integer
  • A/B/X/Y buttons do not work and will not ever work (Roblox has no SteamVR inputs for them and they will never add first-party support for the WMR gamepad)
1 Like