Tips on how I can get better at making more detailed builds on Blender

I’ve been using Blender for a while and want to get into making detailed builds. I’m simply asking for tips on how to make it look more detailed. Currently, I’m working on a somewhat rundown building which will have a balcony on the top. I don’t have much experience in making very detailed meshes but any help would be awesome!

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi! The questions isn’t really ‘How I should get better’, but ‘Do I want to get better?’

If you do want to get better, you’ll be willing to put time, effort, practice, and a lot more into Model Creations. Spending at least 1-2 hours a day is enough for Modeling.

So you came here asking for tips. I have quite a few good tips for you.

• Start off Basic
    An issue with most developers is that they start off doing really advanced stuff, and don’t cover the basic stuff. This is a really important step to becoming better. Start off with some basic stuff such as Trees, rocks, plants, and even low poly houses. As you get better, you should begin doing more advanced stuff.

• Get Inspiration
    Getting inspiration from other games is a great idea too! I would suggest really playing games, and looking at some models they have, and trying to make something like it.

• Put Time & Practice Into This
    If you don’t want to get better at this, you probably won’t put time and practice into this. By putting time and practice into this, you will learn so much more then by doing nothing. You should put atleast 2 hours a day into modeling.

• High Poly Models
    Most modelers only specialize in Low Poly stuff. I am a fan of low poly, but you should also practice high poly things as well. By doing high poly models as well, you expand your knowledge by a lot.

• Doing Commissions
    The last tip I have for you is to do commissions. By doing this, you will be challenged to do stuff you probably don’t do. The DevForum is a great place to find commissions. Start by making some work, then creating a portfolio.

Anyways, those are just some of my tips. I wish you luck in your journey with blender!

6 Likes

Thank you! I’ll definetly start working on simpler builds like you said to practice and have more experience! Do you have any games that you’d recommend to get inspiration off of?

3 Likes

Not really, but I’d suggest looking at popular games and seeing what they have.

3 Likes