Tips or advice for gamepasses in a combat game?

What are you attempting to achieve?

• I am wanting to know some general tips or advice for gamepasses in a objective/team based combat game I am developing.

• The objective of the game is for one of two teams to reach a certain number of Kills in order to win a single round.

What is the issue?

• This is my first time approaching gamepasses in a game that has a primary focus on team-versus-team combat.

What solutions have you tried so far?

• I have already considered avoiding gamepasses where a player can be given unfair advantages such as 1 hit kills, over-the-top firing rates, etc.

Thank you for reading!

2 Likes

Can you give more details about the game? What are the match mechanics that you are going for? Maybe share what the vision of the game is, and/or some similar or related existing games.

1 Like

gun skins idk

Going for a “score X amount of Kills to win” type of mechanic, somewhat similar to how some games have a team elimination game mode.

1 Like

Sounds like a classic deathmatch.
Do teams have bases or do they spawn anywhere?
Do players have progression between lives, or are they reset on respawn?
Do players bring anything unique to the match or are all the mechanics the same for each player?

To answer your question (if you’re looking for answers, of course):

• Yes. Both teams have designated spawning areas.
  • Players do not have any form of progression other than the Kills they obtain.
  • The mechanics are the same of each player.

Sprays seems to be quite popular in games right now. These are where a player equips a spray item to their account, and when they press a bound key like ‘t’, it will spray their equipped image onto a nearby surface that they are facing. You can then sell or randomly give out different sprays via loot crates.

This method of selling items works well for a variety of cosmetic items. If there is a limited set of weapons in game for players to pick up, you can sell weapon skins that change the way they look or the visual effects of their actions.

What is the aesthetic theme for the game? Serious, or whacky?

If the game isn’t completely serious, you can do stuff like special kill effects. Players you kill explode into confetti or players you kill turn to green goo.

If the game is serious, I recommend looking at CS:GO. They sell weapon skins from crates but still maintain a state of realism and stern combat. They also sell stuff like stickers to put on weapons, various quality levels of the same skin, and event related content.

2 Likes

If you are looking for methods to sell gamepasses (one time purchases) specifically, as opposed to developer products (resellable purchases), you have some options. I would recommend resellable content, but one-time-purchases can be effective too.

You can sell permanent states that make the player look cool, powerful, or unique.
Character skins
Character effects
Special chat color
Special badge on ingame leaderboard

You can also sell states that allow players to change the game outside of matches.
Ability to vote for next map
Ability to get double of any form of long term progression
Premium players leaderboard for total match wins
Ability to trade any kind of cosmetic assets with other players
VIP servers

3 Likes