Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

It’s definitely a roblox bug. I’ve asked around before to no avail, the only real answer seems to be to wipe your computer. You can try storing a backup, and then uploading the backup once you reset it

1 Like

So I’ve talked to ROBLOX Support about this issue and the only solution that they found that solves this issue (besides factory resetting your computer) is adding another user to the computer and using ROBLOX Studio on that account. Hope this helps anyone who is currently experiencing this issue!

3 Likes

My solution and recommendation is to just install Windows via Bootcamp on your Mac. Even if you factory reset your Mac you’re only postponing the problem as it’s likely to reoccur (I only used two Apple laptops for Roblox Studio but they both became afflicted and were rendered unusable), not to mention Roblox doesn’t seem to care about Mac bugs or at least they don’t take them nearly as seriously as Windows and that’s why so many bugs on Mac go unfixed (I stopped reporting Mac bugs because it became clear to me they just don’t fix them - even after over a year). I was a huge Apple person but Roblox and Mac do NOT go together. Roblox staff literally told me they couldn’t fix the problem and that they stopped trying. I’m not trying to give Roblox a hard time as I understand their resources are EXTREMELY limited, but it’s just an example of how Mac is a third class system in terms of how they respond to bugs. Roblox doesn’t care very much about fixing Mac bugs; that’s a fact. Spend the $150 on Windows 10 and use it for Roblox Studio (if you can afford to). In my opinion the entire Mac version of Roblox Studio should be listed as BETA and NOT a full release.

Also, it’s not just the script editor that presents issues. When I stopped using Mac for Roblox development I timed it and it took over 5 minutes to load an empty baseplate; that’s truly unbelievable. I love Roblox and am very happy they wish to expand their share of the market, but in order to be taken seriously as a viable option for Mac OS development they will need to do some incredibly significant work and hire new staff to focus on improving Roblox Studio on the Mac so that, at the very least, it functions in the most BASIC sense of the word. Until then Roblox Studio on Mac should be marked as a beta WIP.

This may seem harsh but accepting money from Mac OS developers while you fail to provide them with a functioning development software seems problematic and the fact that you stopped trying to fix this issue seems like it borders on unethical (the last statement is made because I was told by the Roblox staff that they had given up).

I have outlined this issue in further detail on my website:
https://www.vissequ.com/index.php/2019/06/06/use-windows-for-roblox-studio-do-not-use-mac/

Addendum: Roblox should buy a Mac. I’ll pay for it :slight_smile:
But I’ll honestly send Roblox one of my Macs if they’re willing to use it. Millions will benefit if they put even a little effort into fixing this problem and I’d be happy to help.

9 Likes

I’ll contribute to the pot fund for this! :joy:

I’m completely unable to even create a model without crashing in places with less than 10 parts, using a MacBook.

6 Likes

Do you think we should try crowdfunding?

I’ve had multiple non dev forum members contact me personally after I posted the article on my website and they all share the same sentiment. We are upset that we are overlooked and that Roblox accepts our money but refuses to fix the problems which prevent us from using the software for which we pay to support.

The most logical thing is of course to reduce our payments to Roblox and I’m reducing myself from OBC to BC but the dream is that one day all Mac users will be able to use the Roblox Studio application (or at the very least Roblox admits they cannot support a public release version of Roblox Studio for Mac OS and changes its status to beta.)

3 Likes

As stated in previous posts about this issue, it would extremely helpful if you posted your Mac OS, Processor, Memory, and Graphics info when you report an issue. We are well aware of the issues plaguing the Script Editor.

We have a backlog of over 1000 issues, and they must all be prioritized for a team of less than 15. This is no small task, and requires smaller bugs to be unprioritized over more critical issues. Additionally, we have never been able to regularly repro the Script Editor problem reported, but we believe we know the cause and are always on the lookout for more information.

As for getting us a Macbook… I assure you, we have plenty of Macbooks.

9 Likes

It’s been over a month, any updates so far?

Yes, I have recently encountered the issue. Not sure what causes it. Might be after I installed a plugin. It has never been that slow before until I decided to install a new plugin.

:computer: Sloooooooow typing…

And currently, I’m working on the scripts outside Studio just to avoid the issue and only use Studio for the purpose of reading.

Reinstalling Studio proves ineffective.

Current specs:
macOS Mojave 10.14.5
MacBook Air(11-inch, 2015)
1,6 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

3 Likes

If it started happening when you installed a plugin, have you tried using Studio wit plugins disabled? Can you link the plugin?

3 Likes

I don’t believe it is plugin-specific, because this plugin is newly published and posted in DevForum. I’ll check tomorrow with all my plugins disabled(doubt this works, because other users reported the result, maybe restarting Studio once will help after procedure?)

If you wonder which plugin, it is the Plugin: Local File Importer (Import Images from your Computer!). However. I am doubting that installing a plugin slows it down as I might’ve been oblivious during development(lack of sleep I guess).

Okay, so the current report by disabling all plugins:

It did not resolve it.

Interestingly, when I checked the processor’s stats, it appears to clog up on Studio heavily while typing. I went on testing by randomly hitting keys on the keyboard.

It spiked up over 100% usage. :thinking:

1 Like

The last time I had this bug on windows, intellisense was the culprit.

Try disabling autocomplete:

1 Like

Did not work.

Another interesting fact is how switching to another account and using the Studio there actually solved it. I don’t quite understand why there’s a major difference between a new account and a used account.

Update
A little tampering with the files did not solve it either. Reinstalling does not work. I can’t pinpoint the solution on my end. Perhaps this is internal or just a complicated issue.

Update 2
Looks like moving the script editor out of its original dock actually solved it. What?!

6 Likes

I have the same issue ever since I downloaded Mojave, when I had High Sierra there was no lag whatsoever. Hopefully Roblox roles out a patch soon.

I have the same issue, it really drives me crazy.
I got one solution, you can just hold your cursor on the script window, where is the name, etc. who is editing it and so.
And you hold and drag it away, I drag it to my second monitor, or you can drag in the studio, but make sure you don’t put it anywhere, otherwise it will still lag.

2 Likes

Still happening, as I’ve posted on 2 other posts. Stupidly laggy when clicking, editing and moving around in studio, not just in scripts now.

Still laggy ugh… i just wish this will be fixed it’s really an hinderance to my development

This problem has somewhat escalated, now extending into the issue of dragging the windows around in Studio and attempting to dock them. It takes an extra second to dock them.

I have been having a similar issue, however its on Windows 10 and the only issue is when writing scripts. I have had upto a 4 second delay when typing scripts regardless of how long they are.

Quick reply,

Next time this is happening could any of you report back what happens to your CPU usage? (Make sure autocomplete is on)

If it spikes while you are typing, we may know the cause of the issue.

The problem with this issue has always been its very difficult to repro in-house for some reason.

Reporting…

• CPU usage while not focused on Studio: Less or around 20%
  • CPU usage while focused: Around 20-40%
  • CPU usage while focusing in script editor: Spiked up to 60% first, then around 20%
  • CPU usage while typing: Spikes beyond 100% in usage
  • CPU usage while moving the editor: Around 50-70%
  • CPU usage while typing in the editor docked elsewhere than the Studio viewport window: 50%
1 Like