Category Problem [Closed]

[Closed] (Useless topic according to our replies)

This happens because those people don’t read category guidelines before posting. If people read them and followed them, then this wouldn’t be an issue. An uncategorized category would inevitably worsen the problem since people who are lazy will just put their topic there effortlessly and this will lead to off-topic posts.

People don’t purposely categorize things wrong, I mean I and many others have read those guideline multiple times and still sometimes mess it up.
This is just an idea for a solution or at least something similar to temporarily solve this issue. ONE problem is people see the guidelines complicated and don’t entirely understand it…
You can tell if someone randomly categorized something or didn’t know exactly where to put the topic.

I do agree with parts of your statement though. Some people choose to not read anything and put it randomly in a category which can confuse people.
I just personally think people over react to “wrong categories” because someone didn’t understand if their topic belonged their, plus usually its between 2 categories and they choose one for a very specific reason… Oh wait whats this? Comments screaming about wrong category, topic deleted, unlisted, locked, whatever, you see the point.
One simple confusion leads to an over reaction on it.

Each category clearly describes what is allowed, for instance #help-and-feedback:cool-creations.

It doesn’t temporarily solve any issues, it worsens them. If the guidelines are too complicated they can always ask DevEngagementTeam/Community_Sage group or ask here in #forum-feedback. This can also be used as feedback to the forum to simplify an explanation.

We can’t, take #development-discussion as a good example.

Flag mini-mod-like posts and off-topic posts, if someone misuses a category (un)intentionally DevEngagementTeam will give them feedback.

If there was an uncategorized option a lot more people would join the devforum just to post off topic things and that just ruins the whole point of the developer forum.

2 Likes