Unions vs MeshParts

I’m currently using a lot of unions in my new game but I don’t know if meshparts would be better as I saw others saying that in the DevForum. Thanks!

MeshParts can just generally be more efficient than Unions, since you can choose how the geometry is assembled.

6 Likes

Unions are fine to use, but they have limitations that meshes don’t. Meshes can have very small details that are unrealistic or impossible to create with unions. As far as performance goes, I don’t really know what the difference is. Don’t stress too much about it, there’s nothing wrong with using unions.

1 Like

Meshparts are way better. Unions are still pretty broken as is. 1st version - the current one, creates many different faces on top of other faces; version 2 - in beta, has some geometry issues and it’s still not really usable.

1 Like

MeshParts for sure. They’re better performant and unions have messed up geometry. It’s not too hard to learn Blender if you follow the right tutorials and practice; you could also hire a modeler.

1 Like

Go with MeshParts if the Union has any more than a few Tris.
When you first create a Union there is a Property that indicates the number of Triangles involved. If you Import that Union into Blender you’ll see that it has waaaay more Tris than it actually needs and you can clean it up and smooth it out much better.

1 Like

Meshparts are way better. Unions normally have weird hitboxes and they cause lag if there are a lot of them.

2 Likes