[CLOSED] University Ambassador Program

Such an amazing opportunity! Huge shoutout to the team for their hard work. Looking forward to seeing this program grow & creative minds prosper! :purple_heart:

10 Likes

You would put ā€œUniversity Ambassador Programā€ on your resume along with your role in it.

How would this program be any better than forming your own ā€œgame developmentā€ club at a college or university? Because for some universities, they like to see if you are a leader of something. Forming a club vs UAP, both are ways to put ā€œleadershipā€ on your resume.

4 Likes

Itā€™s only in USA ?
Because iā€™m french ā€¦ :sob:

4 Likes

Wow! Seems really interesting, although barely my university would think on things such an ambassador program :frowning_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

We can ask our campus to open a roblox club ?

1 Like

Roblox as a university course is not ideal

A Roblox course for a university seems overly ambitious given the current platformā€™s capabilities. Not only does Roblox not provide enough tools and features for game development, but the limitations on monetization (such as the DevEx rate) and the gatekept developer relations pushes Roblox far away from aspiring developers looking for a fresh platform.

As a current university student, I am currently enrolling in courses to go away from the Roblox platform, not to continue to be sucked in it. As a developer since 2014, I know from personal experience the pain of trying to be self-sustaining, with such poor success financially speaking.

Encouraging industry students to enter the Roblox platform can lead to financial issues

Time and time again the community complains about the DevEx rate and the false value of Robux created by this rate. Letā€™s step back for a moment and contemplate this complaint and relate it to the current topic.

For context, I run a game that almost always has a concurrent player count of 1k-4k online, which is almost always more than Call of Duty: Black Ops 1. Yet, Black Ops continues to make way more than my studio ever could. Why? Itā€™s simple, I get about 18%-20% of the original purchase value of Robux.

This example leads me to one conclusion: Roblox is not viable as a career. Thus, if itā€™s not viable as a career, itā€™s not viable as a university course.

Any student who takes a Roblox course and falls into the Roblox industry is bound to end up with financial issues.

Roblox needs to improve its reputation before its appropriate to appear on a resume

Roblox, as it currently stands, has a poor reputation among the general development community. To fix this, Roblox needs to address the biggest problems and tackle them from the root, instead of ignoring them until they hopefully go away.

Tell me, would an employer rather see I have a computer science degree, or a Roblox degree?

And of course, I guarantee no Roblox staff or relations will respond to this, because why would they, especially since they donā€™t care? Address these three points I made, and then Iā€™m down to ask my university for a Roblox course. Until then, I look forward to the day when I can finally break away from the platform.

46 Likes

Those people clearly have issues then.

5 Likes

Until Roblox addresses and fixes the reputation itā€™s gotten, I donā€™t feel it will thrive in this environment. Maybe Iā€™m wrong though. Once I go to college, Iā€™d love to be apart of this wherever I go.

Game discovery, a 2D engine, things that would drive more devs to the platform is a must. I know these things arenā€™t simple, but universities probably wouldnā€™t take me seriously if I try this program in Robloxā€™s current standing. My current tech based classes donā€™t seem fond of Roblox, nor other game developers Iā€™ve interacted with over the years.

Speaking of which, if anyone knows of any universities that have game development, game design, ect. as a major, Iā€™d love to know. Iā€™ve been searching off and on for a year, little luck.

4 Likes

Referring to the students thatā€™ll participate in the courses (thatā€™ll be guided by the ambassadors).

There are many more professional courses which makes me think the ā€˜Robloxā€™ course could potentially not be taken seriously.

I highly agree with @iGottic , Roblox is not yet appropriate to be in a resume.

6 Likes

Maybe if they donā€™t know about ROBLOXā€™s reputation, and if they only talk about the positives of ROBLOX, they might join. Whether they might leave or stay i donā€™t know.

1 Like

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to bring Roblox into the educational space and introduce the Roblox platform to professional career development!

Iā€™m super excited to see where this program will go and Iā€™m definitely going to apply so that I can bring Roblox to UT Austin! It will be a great way for me to get more involved around campus! :smile: :mortar_board:

5 Likes

Grateful to witness this program incoming, and would love to see it become international in the future!

Iā€™ll be studying The Art of Video Games at University in the future, so hope to see you there eventually! :tada:

3 Likes

I earned my Bachelorā€™s Degree in Game Design a few years ago, and Iā€™m currently pursuing a second degree in teaching (I already instruct Roblox summer camps). This sounds like the PERFECT program for me!

4 Likes

For sure going to introduce this to the Game Design school here where I live. It will fit amazingly since theyā€™re ranked number #3 in the nation.

Canā€™t wait!

4 Likes

If you donā€™t mind me asking, where did you get the degree in game design? Iā€™ve been researching colleges with majors in game development or something in that general field for a while now, little luck so far. Iā€™ve seen minors and random summer courses on the other side of the globe.

Anyone else with info on anything Iā€™d also love to know. Maybe a PM cause itā€™s a bit off topic. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

And as far as I know you canā€™t select it as a social integration for games lol

1 Like

This sounds awesome! I know itā€™s U.S.-only as of now, but when might this be availiable in Canada?

1 Like

Roblox owns Guilded and itā€™s easier for them to monitor

Webster University. Iā€™ll explain more in a DM.

How does this effect the DevEx rates?

6 Likes