Unreliability and lack of transparency with web services. Developers need a solution

Happend to me - I had no idea whats going on and I seeked help because of the people telling me that the game got laggy. I almost started removing some features due to the lag but it stopped and I moved on. A site like status.roblox.com would be helpful so next time I would check the status instead of worrying about the game’s performance.

2 Likes

http://roblox.status.io/ exists however it’s manually updated. Definitely has room for improvement.

1 Like

2018-05-07%2009_06_16-Roblox%20Status

I’m not sure if “room for improvement” scratches the surface of how inadequate it seems to be.

12 Likes

An example of how it can improve is the fact that it is manually updated.

1 Like

There is definitely quite a lot of room for improvements that seem rather necessary for a status page.

• Status page should be accessible on status.roblox.com
  • Status should be updated at least every five minutes
  • There should be system metrics that display the API response time

I believe that the Discord status page does a great job of displaying the same information about their systems that Roblox developers want to know about Roblox system. It is also important to mention that Discord uses Statuspage just like Roblox.

1 Like

The status page hasn’t been updated in over a month:

This issue is unresolved. @Dev_Tony brought up the example of Discord’s status page and that is perfect. We need accountability and transparency with Roblox’s web services.

14 Likes

And a solution hadn’t been released yet. It’s been already two months since the status was updated.

A fix should be worked on as soon as possible.

2 Likes

I think they forgot about that site

2 Likes

Updated the thread

5 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to monitor Roblox site issues properly.

roblox.status.io was supposed to be the key factor in ending this supposed radio silence surrounding these issues, like data store maintenance, site slowness, etc.

Unfortunately, the site has not been updated, as of the 26th of June, in 3 months.

If we are supposed to keep track of supposed outages, we rely on services like these to deliver real time updates ASAP.

The status site should be automatic, and should not be outdated by 3 months. This is increasingly annoying as something that weve wanted for a very long time has not been put to good use.

I sincerely hope something will be done to help us developers out.

12 Likes

Agreed, I didn’t even know what the datastore service was down for a bit a few days ago until I saw the issue was resolved. It would be extremely useful if the statue of Roblox servers, on roblox.status.io, were updated automatically every minute.

Now that I look back at this, the site seems to be at this point just a site that sits there to make us think that it’s actually being monitored. I am not trying to jump to conclusions or anything, but if the site hasn’t been updated, it’s just to make us think something is actually being done at this point. The lack of communication with us developers on the sites performance is essiental and must be improved on.

3 Likes

@Seranok Perhaps you can shine a light on this ? Why isnt the status page updated any more ?

Thanks !

3 Likes

Roblox is down at the moment, and https://roblox.status.io/ doesn’t reflect this. What’s the point in having it if it isn’t automatically updated?

6 Likes

It was just a quick idea that they had and never really commited to it.

2 Likes

It’s not even under the Roblox domain. Guess they don’t want to pay $80 a month https://status.io/pricing.

2 Likes

Hey everybody, we have not been maintaining that site so unfortunately it is not up to date. We hear you as far as wanting information about uptime. For now your best bet us to follow @robloxdevlrel on Twitter until we have a better process.

2 Likes

status.roblox.com seems reliable now, within a minute of the issues this weekend a notice was put up on the site as well a header on the main site, seemingly automated. Same for the day after.

5 Likes