Constraint Chassis

Very nice @Fahedgt5

2 Likes

Stole my thunder. That’s fine, I’ll just add in some fancy scriptable features.

2 Likes

No, he stole my thunder, and only I can do that.

On a serious note, I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to do this for a while, and you’ve brought it to me. This will be really useful in my games.

3 Likes

I’ll be releasing my own version soon featuring some nice features, including emulation of controlled body roll and so on.

2 Likes

Thank you Fahed, very cool!

1 Like

Nice work!
Was there a reason you used a Prismatic and a hinge rather than the CylindircalConstraint? It’s a combination of the two!

5 Likes

For these systems you really need a Prismatic and two hinges. I got away with a single prismatic and a hinge per wheel in mine because I use rotating the attachments to steer. I hate cylindricals btw, they are so unwieldy to work with, even in Explorer.

1 Like

I used prismatic constraints to move the spring constraints in one axis

2 Likes

This. Is. Amazing. I have little experience with vehicles on Roblox, so this will definitely be helpful. Thanks!

Hate to bump this, but when I try making the chassis smaller the whole thing flips around. Is there a size limit?

2 Likes

You will likely need to adapt the forces and lengths of the constraints to match the smaller size of the chassis.

2 Likes

That makes sense. How would I go about doing that, and more importantly, doing it properly?

1 Like

Most I can tell you is to experiment. Look at all of the constraints, adjust their numbers. You will more than likely find that the spring rates are proportional to how small/light the vehicle is.

2 Likes

Yeah this is not working at all :frowning: Wish there was more documentation

1 Like

What do you mean by whole thing fliping around?

Edit: i was able to repo it ill try and get a fix on it

Edit2: I was able to fix this by

Positioning the axels and ReSizing the "Wheel"s

4 Likes

This picture helps tremendously. Thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hate to bother you again but I need more guidance. (Taken from my other thread)

Repro: https://www.roblox.com/library/3058063306/Work-Van

I’m trying to make a work van but every time I turn (at higher speeds), it spins out of control and glitches.

I’ve tried randomly adjusting the constraints, re-positioning things, changing the weight of parts, and more to no avail. It would be helpful if someone who understood constraints could explain what I’m doing wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

The damping was way to high this is my fault for keeping the default damping at 1000 , ive set it to 250 and it works fine VanForPun.rbxm (26.7 KB) , OP is also updated to have the default damping at 100

2 Likes

I really appreciate you looking at it. This is a great chassis when I have my head wrapped around it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My chassis can run circles around this one.

Literally…

For real though, mine’s pretty advanced, if anyone wants me to try submitting it here I could consider it.

No offense intended though :stuck_out_tongue: This one handles good enough! I just still believe it can be improved. Particularly in the suspension and friction areas. You can fix it purely with CustomPhysicalProperties and changes to the SpringConstraints.

9 Likes