Update to Developer Forum Entry Process

Is the process of someone going from New Member to Member going to become automated?

Edit: Sorry for the accidental reply.

6 Likes

I doubt so. I even think they shouldn’t. They are just New Members just like these from new program and I doubt that criteria were high to get into the New Member program so there may be even no difference between the effort of applicant.

7 Likes

As it was noted above - it is still being thought as they want to work on that either.

12 Likes

Okay, thanks

7 Likes

When did that change took effect? When I got promoted to new member you still had to apply… So I assume this “automated promotion” thing was already being tested out or am I missing something :thinking:

6 Likes

I feel like at this point new members should have their own forum. New members aren’t as experienced as full members and I’ve started seeing so many posts in the wrong categories and portfolios that mainly use free models. New members are also talking about how their alts are now new members and some are saying they aren’t even developers.

I can imagine the forums becoming unprofessional if everyone gets accepted. There are people here who have no interest in developing. I have no problem with people being able to view topics, but who should be allowed to post?

Yes I am aware that I am a new member too.

27 Likes

This seems to have come into effect yesterday

7 Likes

If you got “system” DM on devforum then it is an automatical promotion what got you in.

8 Likes

No. It was on for a few days or so over a week. I have talked with Lily yesterday and she decided to clarify what changed more

7 Likes

Fully agree with this

10 Likes

I either fully agree and I am also wondered that DevForum may be abused soon or become untrustworthy place.

9 Likes

If the DevFourm has this new entry system, I can imagine that so many alt accounts will be in the fourm. This could be a problem.

9 Likes

@En_oe Agreed… Much much agreed…

@Etheroit I did indeed get a “system promotion message”, a week ago to be exact.

7 Likes

The change took effect about 10 days ago, we first noticed it in our server due to the unusual influx, so we reached Lilly and Carlos. You can read Carlos’ response here.

9 Likes

A week ago? That would explain why it has felt like the quality of New Member posts past week have been rather low

7 Likes

As a new member who was recently accepted through the new system, I feel as if the system is too lenient.

As the developer forums are intended to be used by, well, developers, this system seems to allow the entrance of unverified members (eg. non devs), which has been noticably lowering the quality of the discussions in the forums.

More requirements and criteria should be implemented to filter out those with nothing to contribute as to maintain the high quality discussions on the DevForums.

22 Likes

I agree with you. If the process is easier, than the quality would decrease.

9 Likes

What requirements and criteria would you personally suggest?

6 Likes

My friend got promoted to New Member for being active a few days back.

14 Likes

Same happened to me, but happened a few Saturdays ago.

9 Likes