See replies to this thread for updates!
The Code Kingdoms team has been hard at work developing a new education platform for Roblox Studio. Early access for Studio+ has now launched!
Our platform is live here: https://studioplus.io/en
You, the developers, are best placed to give us the feedback we need to take this platform to the next level. We’d be very grateful if you could let us know your thoughts at this stage. Please let us know on this thread. Alternatively if you’re a member of the dev forum we have set up a discussion channel here.
Roblox gives users the tools to ‘Make Anything’ and we want to help give as many people as possible the opportunity to do just that. Through our courses, we want to bring about a new wave of Roblox developers armed with all the skills and techniques needed to bring their imaginations to life. That is our goal for CK Studio+.
We have built a curriculum spanning four different branches; Programming, Visual Design, Game Design and Game Production. We plan to launch this summer with 25 detailed courses covering all four of these branches. Post-launch, we have over 60 further courses planned.
The CK Studio+ plugin is at the core of our platform, supporting users in all of our courses. Some of its key features include (Expand for gifs):
Progress step detection for code and studio actions
Parsing and linting code to point out common mistakes
The option to skip a step, and see the plugin complete it for you
Hints to help guide users through tricky steps
Users can load courses directly from our plugin in Studio
For advanced users, a code test system allowing them to evaluate their code in a sandboxed environment
Our courses are roughly grouped into three categories:
- Courses based on games: The user is tasked with adding some new functionality to an almost complete game. This means they have something fun to play at the end of every course!
- Courses based on concepts: A deep dive into a specific topic spread over several courses, allowing the user to master it from scratch!
- Courses featuring developers: New concepts are explained using case studies from real Roblox games, and interviews with top developers.
Our courses come in two formats, written guides for those who want to follow at their own pace and videos targeted at those who want further guidance. All of our courses are designed by our team of game designers, developers and education specialists based in London, UK.
Code Kingdoms is one of Roblox’s education partners. We have been teaching new developers to build games online for over 5 years and within the past few years have shifted to Roblox.
I learnt to code on Roblox myself, and have been developing games on the platform for over 10 years. I joined Code Kingdoms because they shared my view that Roblox presents the greatest opportunity in history to teach unprecedented numbers of people essential digital skills for the future.
Roblox has a strong history of user generated content, and we want Studio+ to be the path for ambitious players to become successful developers. We believe there is so much more that can be done to increase the quantity of great games available on Roblox, and giving more people than ever the guidance they need to get started is the first step.
How can I get involved?
We have been fortunate enough to have top developers engage in a few of our content initiatives that we think add real educational value to our users. If any of the below sounds interesting to you, we’d love to hear from you:
- We’re currently producing a freely available podcast featuring developers and their stories to get more people interested in developing games on Roblox
- Some developers have completed short interviews with us to explain concepts they have particular insight on
- We are also hiring Roblox builders and animators, to help us produce animated sequences for our video courses
Where can I find out more?
If you’re a member of the dev forum we’ve set up a discussion channel here.