Variable Autocomplete Only Works Two Layers Deep

Studio currently does not autocomplete past a depth of two variables.

Expected behaviour:

Current behaviour (Two layers deep):

14 Likes

This has been going on for 1+ years now, and it annoys me so much. It really slows down development if you rely on autocomplete for more speed.

7 Likes

Any word on a potential fix for this problem that should have never even surfaced? It’s INSANELY annoying to lose autocomplete about 5 seconds in to writing anything.

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t think this is a bug. It’s more likely to be a feature that wasn’t implemented because it would require the script editor to map the directory of the objects in real-time as they are being referenced.

local Part = script.Parent 
                 -- autocomplete works because script.Parent is
                 -- a surely established directory

local Object_Inside_Part = Part.Object 
                 -- autocomplete works because you are
                 -- using a base object that has surely
                 -- established directory (Part is the base)
                 -- This directory is semi-established

local Object_Inside_Object = Object_Inside_Part.Object
                 -- autocomplete doesn't work because the
                 -- base object (Object_Inside_Part) is yet to checked if it is a
                 -- valid and existing object, hence the directory cannot be
                 -- surely established

Surely Established Directory - Meaning the path of the object is expected to always exist at the time of writing the code.

Base Object - Basically when you type Part.Object, the base will always be the first object/variable in the directory, so this one will be Part

Disclaimer: The terms and logic used may be inaccurate, but more or less, it’s a reasonable look at how this limitation of the autocomplete/script editor works.

2 Likes

I don’t really agree with this being considered a feature request. It’s sort of between the two and I think this is undesirable (and undocumented) behavior which would be both confusing for users and inconvenient so I would personally consider this a bug (hence why I posted this in this category). I suppose it would be considered more of a tweak than a bug but I personally feel it best fits within this category.

2 Likes

Thank you for submitting this report. We are currently reviewing all bug reports to ensure we have not overlooked any ongoing issues. Since this issue was reported over two years ago, can you please confirm you are still experiencing the problem? If so, please respond to this thread, and we will investigate. If we do not receive any response within 30 days, we will consider this matter resolved. Thank you.